targeting legal snapper

Shaun87

hey raiders

finally got my new boat and have been out and about Botany Bay the past month or so without much luck. I'm looking at targeting snapper with the restriction of not being able to get outside the heads anywhere unless it's perfect conditions. im looking for somewhere else to take the boat out to find my snapper dinner tomorrow night ? any tips/tricks wild be greatly appreciated thanks.

I can't say I have seen or heard of to many people have consistent success inside catching snapper. If they are they probably aren't sharing it.

I'd say anchor up near reefy territory pretty close to the heads, berley with pillie cubes. I have caught the odd one near the oil wharf this time of year on the run out tide. I'd guess Watts reef, mol point, Bare island are worth a shot.

Why your waiting your likely to get some Trevor's show up. An underrated table fish IMHO.

What sort of boat did you get? If your looking at sticking your nose out on a nice day I'd be trying the Hacking. The heads isn't do defined and from Jibbon it's just around corner. Be mindful of Jibbon BOMMIE.

Other than the bommie there isn't much reef it's pretty much all sand (flathead) from wide of Coogee north to the Humps around 20k south of Jibbon. So I think you would do better for snapper close in.

Edited by welst

thanks for your reply mate, I got a quintrex 420 getaway. yeah I have been right up near jibbon the first couple times I took it out, was nice conditions then the wind hit and had to head back in straight away. is jibbon bommie the waves near the point there?

There is generally some waves just near the point. The bommie is just around the corner and usually breaks. It's worthwhile getting Navionics on your phone or sounder too.76083f07aa4e621aafe81e5eaae55538.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks again mate, alright I might try near the bommie or if we go botany will try the oil whalf, got busted off there last weekend on pillie cubes.

Busted or bitten off? Maybe tailor if bitten off or Salmon would bust you off on light gear. Still the odd King about too.