Bait runner reel 4000

hobbitt

Hello,

Not sure if this is the right place to post my question on bait runner reels.

Raiders, I just got back from a little fishing trip up in Bundaberg, my friend was using a bait runner set up, and did quite nicely too, I must say.

I think his was an 8000 ???

What I want to know is, firstly do they come in 4000 size?

Secondly, I am about to take a punt on the weather and take my father from Laurieton out for a little line wetting exercise, so I am asking if a small bait runner will do the business in the estuary system around Laurieton ?

Also, how much would I be looking at, any ideas ?

Thanks Raiders.

Rod.

Mate, Shimanos are considered good baitrunners. They are available in 4000 size. See below the link with current models and their differences.

http://www.shimanofish.com.au/products/fishing-reels/baitrunner.html

If you find the older shimano 4500b model in good condition - it could be also a very good investment. .

I am not sure yet which fishing stores we are allowed to mention on the forum. Just google for "shimano baitrunner 4000 oc price au" or "shimano baitrunner 4000 d price au" or visit local fishing tackle store for the current prices. Other brands may be cheaper.

That's ok. These reels were for a while and were/are quite popular in Oz and Kiwi land. There should be a plenty of reviews online (I never used small baitrunners). Just do not treat them like Alveys, stick to a reputable model (not just a reel brand) - and everything should be fine.

SquidMarks, you have a good eye. Alan Hawk stated that Shimano Thunnus Ci4 was the best of baitrunners in his 2015 blog (http://www.alanhawk.com/blog/wr15.html) while Shimano Baitrunner D was the second best one at almost half price of Thunnus Ci4. The extract is below.

"Free-lining reels

These are the reels commonly known as "bait-runner" reels due to the popularity of Shimano's Baitrunner model, lending its name to the entire category.

This is going to be a simple one; the best one available by a clear margin is the Thunnus CI4 which comes with tougher gearing than other mainstream free-lining reels, in addition to a highly reliable mechanism and excellent build quality. The second best would be Shimano's Baitrunner D, but I really recommend spending the extra and going for the Thunnus CI4. You don't need to look beyond those two reels. There are others that work fine, but there isn't a compelling reason to buy any unless you were after certain ergonomics specific to another reel"

Mate, Shimanos are considered good baitrunners. They are available in 4000 size. See below the link with current models and their differences.

http://www.shimanofish.com.au/products/fishing-reels/baitrunner.html

If you find the older shimano 4500b model in good condition - it could be also a very good investment. .

I am not sure yet which fishing stores we are allowed to mention on the forum. Just google for "shimano baitrunner 4000 oc price au" or "shimano baitrunner 4000 d price au" or visit local fishing tackle store for the current prices. Other brands may be cheaper.

Thanks for being aware of site policy regarding advertising of non-sponsor businesses savit.

Tackle shops can contact us to sponsor the forum and then they can plaster the name across fishraider all day and every day. Google searches on most fishing related things will come up with fishraider posts and it is a fantastic way to sell to a captive audience. If anyone knows or is a tackle shop we would love to hear from you. Email fishraider@iinet.net.au and introduce yourself and your business.

We love to help tackle shops stay alive!

Shimano Bait Runner 4000 Reels are great all rounders. I have two. One with Mono and one with Braid. They are my go to reels for Bait fishing and I have done all right with them flinging plastics.

I have caught snapper upto 70cm on a 4000 and had no trouble. Also caught Kings of 80cm with one. Also no trouble. Very reliable and very versatile.

I have a 6000 as well but I don't use it much as prefer the smaller reel.

If you want to fish for Kings over shallow reef then you would want to go to an 8000 of even a 12000. A 4000 won't stop a decent King or easily turn one but they do hold a good whack of line and over a sandy bottom you can play and land good fish.

Bang for dollar they are excellent and take a beating.

• 3 weeks later...