Kingfish Rod

blackant

G'day Raiders,

well with kingfish season upon us I am looking to upgrade my rod as it is too flexible. I looking to match a rod with a Penn 6500SS which has 20lb braid. I will be fishing from a boat and doing all the things you do to catch Kings, trolling, throwing sp's, live baits, etc. Budget is around $400. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Antony

Blackant,

Allen Glover made me up a beautiful 10kg spin stick for exactly this purpose. It is 7 foot with a fairly sensitive tip for lure casting (not unweighted sluggos though), and heaps of grunt in the butt section.

$400 is plenty unless like me you opt for the super custom bindings that Allen can deliver.

Off the shelf alternative is one of the new Shimano Bluewater T-Curve range. They have a 10-15kg sppin rod in the range that looks the business and should not break the bank.

Good luck on the kings mate

Byron has given some good advice. Have a look at eh Strudwick range as well. I know they aren't for everyone, but I'm happy with mine so far.

G'day Mr Ant; I've been hunting down a similar rod for a big trip in December :biggrin2::biggrin2: .

Went to Otto's last week and was shown the 10-15kg Shimano T Curve Bluewater popper rod which Byron has mentioned. It is 7'6" and in the newish two piece travel format (the join is at the top of the foregrip). Also has a long foregrip (important for extended fights) which is rippled for better hand hold. They are according to designer Barra Miller at the upper end of their line rating and judging by the play I had at Otto's would certainly pull kinks out of 10kg braid. Price was around $220 if I remember right. Damn impressive off the rack rod and well priced and supposedly the blank is tough too. Not sure if it would throw an unweighted SLuggo though as it's meant to be able to cast fairly heavy poppers. Certainly worth getting a hold of one and seeing if you like the feel.

One thing: have you already got the Penn 650? Reason I ask is that I've been looking for a reel too and have ben told the Penn's are not the best layer of braid on the spool. Have been pointed at a Shimano Spheros. Cheers Bombie

Allen Glover made me up a beautiful 10kg spin stick for exactly this purpose. It is 7 foot with a fairly sensitive tip for lure casting (not unweighted sluggos though), and heaps of grunt in the butt section.

thanks Bryon, will drop a PM to Allen and see what he can come up with.

Have a look at eh Strudwick range as well. I know they aren't for everyone, but I'm happy with mine so far.

Joe whats so different about the Strudwick range compared to other brands. although i've never really checked them out i'd assume they wouldn't be that different.

have you already got the Penn 650? Reason I ask is that I've been looking for a reel too and have ben told the Penn's are not the best layer of braid on the spool. Have been pointed at a Shimano Spheros

Cheers Bombie, will check out the T curve next time i see one. As far as the reel, i've had it for 9 months now and can't fault it. I haven't really noticed any issues with the laying of the braid, then again the most i've had out at any one time is about 50m.

Cheers

Antony