Kayaking Cooks / Botany

W4z

Just a quick report from Tuesday. I had a day off work so headed back down to the cooks river to have another go at finding a Jew. Launched just after 6. Thought I'd throw a 2" grub around first to see if there were any trevs or bream about. Second cast hooked something and it took a big run, probably 40m. My heart was pumping. Got a fair bit of line back then it ran again and bit me off. Damn. Not sure if it was a Jew or maybe a real big trev. Pulled way more line than the 45cm trev I got a couple of days before so I'd like to think it was a smallish Jew.

Nothing after that all morning. Pulled the kayak out about 10am.

I was under strict instructions NOT to come home early. Woohoo that doesn't happen often. After two tries in the cooks I was really keen on catching something I could take home and eat!

Drove around to La Perouse grabbed a coffee and launched off a beach. The sun was shining, the water crystal clear and my coffee hot! Couldn't have asked for a better day. But it did get better. Cast out a squid jig and let it sink. Lifted the rod and thought damn snagged on weed.... oh wait a second, I'm on! Over the next hour pulled out 4 x 20 - 25cm hood length squid and 1 x 10 - 12cm squid.

post-33500-0-71857800-1469097467_thumb.jpg

Also noticed some nice looking areas with rocks and crevices between the weed so threw a zman grub in and pick up this, some kind of wrasse I guess.

post-33500-0-55239800-1469097670_thumb.jpg

Peddled over to Molly point. Found some bust ups and got excited but turned out it was just slimmies. No other action. Paddled back and tried for squid again but they weren't interested anymore, just picked up one more small one.

Headed home after that, pretty buggered after a big day on the water.

Thanks for reading,

Waz

Agree,really liked the underwater shots.

Sounds like your not too far away from getting that Jew, shame you didn't get to see the fish.

You must have only had light gear throwing 2"grubs. Many a person been smashed up using heavier gear ( I have) :blush:

Those squid are a nice consolation prize.

Cheers Deano.

Good stuff waz! Loving the under water photos! Well done :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

Cheers mate! Been trying to get a shot that I'd be happy to hang on the wall.

Like the underwater photos. When you say '2" Grub' do you mean a 2" Zman Grub?

Thanks

Thanks mate. When I was in the cooks I was using 2" Gulp minnow grubs. Later in botany bay I was using 2.5" Zman grubs

Agree,really liked the underwater shots.

Sounds like your not too far away from getting that Jew, shame you didn't get to see the fish.

You must have only had light gear throwing 2"grubs. Many a person been smashed up using heavier gear ( I have) :blush:

Those squid are a nice consolation prize.

Cheers Deano.

Thanks mate, yes I started with the light rod, 6lb mainline 6lb leader. Propecting for smaller fish like trevally or bream. Thats why I didn't think it was a big jew as I wouldn't had a chance but could've been a smallish one. I was just lucky it ran straight away from the bridge and I quickly followed in the yak to keep it away from the pylons.

Very rewarding day out in the outdoors.

Cheers mate, one of the most enjoyable days I've had for a while

Good stuff. Winter in the bay can suprise you I guess..

Thanks mate. Yeah squid in winter are probably the easiest way to get a feed I reckon. I don't know the bay that well to target much else successfully this time of year

Very nice mate love the underwater shots. Having caught a few jew in the cooks on 2.5 zmam grubs id say you probably did have a jew if it ran that hard! Shame you didnt get to see it but least you know where he lives :)

Awesome squid there..i really need to up my squid game haha

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Very nice mate love the underwater shots. Having caught a few jew in the cooks on 2.5 zmam grubs id say you probably did have a jew if it ran that hard! Shame you didnt get to see it but least you know where he lives :)

Awesome squid there..i really need to up my squid game haha

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Cheers mate. Yeah hope I can tussle with that fish again!