South Coast Salmon

Green Hornet

I just signed on to FishRaider a couple of days ago and thought I'd kick things off with a report of a beach session I had last week.

With a high tide at 9:15am, a lazy start was in order and I arrived on the sand around 8:30 and quickly tied on my go to 35g surecatch bishop. Scanning the waves from the top of the dune I decided to start things off in a pretty long gutter just to the south of me. I was rewarded first cast with a solid hit almost as soon as I started winding. It took a while before the fish woke up, but soon enough it put in a decent run before taking to the air. I could see it was a better than average fish and after a spirited fight and a brief stalemate in the shore break I managed to beach it. A nice salmon measuring 63cm to the fork.

Now I don't mind eating salmon if prepared correctly, so after bleeding and gutting it, I placed it in a bucket of water and draped a wet towel over it to keep it in the best condition possible.

post-39656-0-38359500-1469763440_thumb.jpg

The next few casts drew a blank, so I started heading off along the gutter which was about 300m long. I fished my way to the other end without a touch so I started heading back to where I'd left my fish and backpack. About 3/4 of the way back I hooked and landed another fish which was quickly released. Then all hell broke loose and the salmon started hitting my lure every cast. They were smashing it as soon as it hit the water and the furthest I had to wind before a hit was 4 turns of the handle. I beached 12 fish which were all released and jumped 3 off before calling it a morning at 9:45. Not a bad effort I thought, 16 hookups in an hour and a quarter.

For anyone interested, I've been fishing this twin, single hook rig on my lures for a year and a half and I beach a hell of a lot more fish than I ever did with trebles or one single. The hooks are mustad big guns in 2/0 or 3/0 and I tie the trailing hook myself from 100lb assist cord. If you can be bothered going to the trouble its well worth the effort of making some up.

post-39656-0-16664900-1469763319_thumb.jpg

Thanks for reading

Pete

Nice work pete and great first report! Salmon are always a great target off the beach and the one you kept looks like a cracker. Thanks for the info on the metal you were throwing. I don't spin a lot myself but that looks the goods.

Cheers scratchie!!!

Gday Pete, as others said mate.....great report. I too love chasing salmon and and as you said are fine on the chew if prepared correctly. Your 2 hook idea is exactly what I have been using on tassie devils in the snowy lakes and works an absolute treat. Trebles allow the fish to to throw the hooks very easily, maybe something to do with leverage possibly.

Thanks again for a great read

Dave

A simpler alternative to your hook set up is to simply use the same hooks but put them back to back on a split ring. I was shown this method by the proprietor of a tackle shop in Jindabyne for use when using Tassie Devils for trout. Throw away the wire insert and thread your leader through the Tassie before putting a bead on the line in front of the ring. Works a treat. Also good for trolling with small plastic squids for bonito and so on. Just use more beads so the hooks sit just behind the skirt of the lure. Just be careful when unhooking fish. I had one hook in my finger and the other in a rat king while fishing alone a while back. Not good I can tell you!!

Sounds like an epic session.

That's a great little tip with the metal assist hook. i like how you have one with a split ring and then an assist hook just behind.

Quite often the fish takes the front hook and with all the head shakes the assist hook pins them under the chin. When this happens, no way are they getting off.

Hi Pete,

do you tie directly to the front split ring or use a swivel? in NZ i remember buying lures and they all came with a front swivel...

I always attach a swivel to the split ring and tie my leader to it. The lure in the pic is a spare because the one I'm currently using is pretty chewed up.

Thanks for all the positive comments guys. I think I'm going to enjoy being on here.

Edited by Green Hornet