beach fishing nthn beaches

codymanly

G'day Raiders,

after several months of nada in and around middle/north harbour, I finally decided to give beach fishing a go Sunday arvo.

I knew there was a whole lot more to work out with beach fishing in terms of finding the right gutter, using the right terminal tackle, to actually having the right rod and reel (neither of which I have)

but after sitting on my ass i decided to go and have a crack anyway. I took my 3-5kg crossfire and my 3500 shimano reel (sorry, I realise that's not exactly specific) and 1kg of pillies down to the beach at 4pm, an hour before high tide

Had a little look around and found what I felt was a pretty decent gutter, and way I went. After ten minutes of second guessing everything I was doing, I found myself tucking into a nice little salmon. Probably didn't even go 25cm, but at least I was in the hunt.

I fished till an hour after dark, pulling in a few more undersize salmon and one undersize flattie.

All in all a really nice winter arvo on the beach, No idea why it took me so long to try something new. I'm now 100% sold.

Hope you're all getting plenty of action!

Cheers,

Codes.

Good on you for giving Beach fishing a go

You might have caught tailor rather than a salmon, as I find that you get heaps of small tailor but I've never caught a salmon below 40 cm off the beach

Btw salmon don't have a legal size

If you get a bigger rod, chuck on a salmon or tailor fillet out. You may even get a jew

Good on you for giving Beach fishing a go

You might have caught tailor rather than a salmon, as I find that you get heaps of small tailor but I've never caught a salmon below 40 cm off the beach

Btw salmon don't have a legal size

If you get a bigger rod, chuck on a salmon or tailor fillet out. You may even get a jew

cheers mate, definitely gonna have to up my jewy hunt with a few strips of Taylor!

Shoulda taken a photo but I'm pretty certain it was salmon... Although I did lose one hook to a sharp set of teeth so you may well be right!!

• 1 month later...