New boat..now need rods and reels

Pauafritta

I have purchased a 5m boat and now need some new reels. I am wanting a reel to target Kingfish with livebaits and maybe to troll with. I was looking at a Shimano Sustain but not sure on what size. Do i get a 4000, 5000 or 6000 and what breaking strain braid? Also what rod to match. If there is a better option than a Sustain let me know.

Now also the same question for flicking soft plastics from a boat. Is a Sustain 2500 ok? With what rod and braid?

Hi,

There are probably lots of combos that you could use but if you are new to Kingfish then its probably best to stick with robust gear that can take a knock or two.

If you have been into a few already then you will know they are dirty fighters and a solo effort on a 5 kg king ( or better still a 10kg) in shallow water around the heads is no picnic.

SO, I would tend to go for a 10kg Shimano Beastmaster - Its a robust glass blank , too heavy for jigging all day but great for live baiting or trolling.
I would take a look at the Saragosa range as they have much of the technology used in the Stella's but at a fraction of the price.
Go try them both in the shop would be my advice. I actually prefer the smoother feel of the Sustain but the Saragosa feel more robust.

There is much contention over line but I would spool with 50lb of a known brand from a real fishing shop unless you have a trusted online source - there is a lot of fake branded stuff going cheap on the web and
it is a recipe for heartache when you lose a good fish.

Good quality flouro leader of say 60 lb tied to the end of that and you are away.

As far as flicking soft plastics a 2500 sustain has 8kgs drag but they are often in combos with much lighter rods, say 3 -5 kg. I would check the balance in the shop before I settled on the combo. Better balance is important if you
end up flicking plastics for extended sessions.

Hope some of this helps

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister