Techniques For Winter kings

Botany Bay Fishing

Hey guys went out the other week to BB looking for the winter kings to no avail we were trolling lures (x raps) and halcos etc.

Just wondering whats the best technique for winterys does it change with the weather usually trolling works well.

What do you guys recommend? Downrigging, poppers or just drifting with fresh squid strips

Would of thought the same technique would apply to summer as winter. We seem to mostly get the smaller 6-8kg both summer and winter though they have gone quite here in Narooma now. Bigger Kings were being taken from Merrinbula wharf and rocks to 20kg on poppers over the last few weeks. I was told they wouldn't take any bait at all. http://www.merimbulanewsweekly.com.au/story/4053912/kingfish-abound-off-merimbula-wharf/

Jon

Edited by JonD

Knife jigs on the deep wrecks do work but you need the boat to get out there.

The most reliable and most often used by most of the sydney harbour guides is downrigging squid.

I wouldnt spend a huge amount of time trolling for kings in winter, you will get a VERY occasional beast along the cliffs but more often then not you will just catch nothing or salmon.

Spend the time catching your squid and mastering that art form and then move to downrigging, the guides do it for a reason and that reason is. It is the most consistent technique in the colder water.

Same as laddercat says, catch live squid, then downrig or use a trolling sinker with the motor just in gear, whilst using poppers or anything to create interest......popper on top , live squid below... if there is a king around it will find either !

1 weeks ago, I was fishing BB just NW of Mols point. I had a live yakka out at 3m and a fresh squid on the other (6m). I was also fishing a small outfit w/ sabiki rig for yakkas. I caught a bream on that outfit (around 31cm). Took me a while to bring it to the surface(only had 4lbs line)...only to realize my landing net was still folded. I had the bream on the side of the boat, while trying to open the net, when all of a sudden, a hoodlum smashed my bream. It was more than a meter long.

My point here being, try using larger lures...or a legal bream as live bait.

We destroyed 5 X-raps on solid kings last winter, straightened single hooks and split lures pulling the wire out the back. The biggest King we've ever seen at an estimated 40-50 kg smoked my daughter, she did manage to stop a few around 20 kg north of Sydney.

Jon

_MG_2384_zpsyjgmjvu8.jpg

We've been doing really well on the new shallow water cast models red and white ( the biggest ones) also the xrap 20 in the blues and green but truthfully I think they would take any colour. We've found these shallow water ones have been good on everything we've tried them on including double figure dollies.

Unfortunatly this is how they look after a big king.

_DSC5667_zpsfz99lgtm.jpg

_MG_2417_zpsukmav6re.jpg

Edited by JonD

I had my kayak out last week by what i assume is mols point (can't spell it, but the spot with the seals). Poor mans downrigging squid strips, 3 hookups. Got dusted by each one. The few i saw were around a meter, another bloke landed one at 97cm. Doesnt have to be particularly fancy...

Hi all. Sorry for the basic questions here but only very new to this. When you say "xrap 20" is this the name and size of the lure? And would these be trolling lures or cast and retrieve?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct! No silly questions here mate even a genius asks his questions ;)

A quick google search should give you the info. you're looking for. I use the xxxrap shallow cast models chasing larger species off the stones.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

There are quite a few models which can be hard to remember how many xxxx's some of them have. The number 20 represents that the lure swims at a depth of 20 ft, there's a slightly bigger model that goes to 30 ft.

The cast models have a much smaller bib on the face meaning they only pull down 1 to 2 m. Though I've used the deeper diving lures for many years with reasonable successes I'm finding the shallow ones are way better.

Here's my thought why these lures are better, when you troll lures behind the boat the prop wash ( Air bubbles) only go down around 1 m so any fish attracted by this surface disturbance will see the lure sitting just under it. As I also film and hunt species underwater and you get to see a fishes behaviour in the suds is far more excited and aggressive than a fish just off to the side of bommie washes.

They also come in uv colours now which is another interesting area to look into.

By the way there's nothing at all wrong with halco lures, I've got a fair variety of those too which are often much cheaper.

Jon

_MG_1472_zps4a6803fb.jpg

_MG_4669_zps4le9bhya.jpg

_MG_4454_zps985bca4f.jpg

Edited by JonD

Thanks for the info Jon. Very useful. When you are new to the sport it's a little overwhelming with all the options available and you are just an easy target for sales walking into most tackle shops lol. And I realise one lure will not do everything but am I mistaken in thinking that there are lures that are somewhat multi species? Eg kingfish/bonito.

There are quite a few models which can be hard to remember how many xxxx's some of them have. The number 20 represents that the lure swims at a depth of 20 ft, there's a slightly bigger model that goes to 30 ft.

The cast models have a much smaller bib on the face meaning they only pull down 1 to 2 m. Though I've used the deeper diving lures for many years with reasonable successes I'm finding the shallow ones are way better.

Here's my thought why these lures are better, when you troll lures behind the boat the prop wash ( Air bubbles) only go down around 1 m so any fish attracted by this surface disturbance will see the lure sitting just under it. As I also film and hunt species underwater and you get to see a fishes behaviour in the suds is far more excited and aggressive than a fish just off to the side of bommie washes.

They also come in uv colours now which is another interesting area to look into.

By the way there's nothing at all wrong with halco lures, I've got a fair variety of those too which are often much cheaper.

Jon

_MG_1472_zps4a6803fb.jpg

_MG_4669_zps4le9bhya.jpg

_MG_4454_zps985bca4f.jpg

0cddfc42696593ac48cceb28ef2b45a7.jpg

Is this similar to the type of halco lure you are talking about?

Ok Let's say I'm about to be put onto an island Bear Ghrylls style and have got the choice of one lure to take with me.

The biggest in the xxxrap blue with black spots would be my choice. It's not to big for the likes of salmon, trevaly, coral trout etc and not to small for dolphin fish, kings, and tuna. They are also heavy enough to cast a fair way and in that colour have worked on just about everything I've used them for. Bonitos and kings love the white with red head also, so if you want to try two those are my favorate colours.

I normally shop around and buy a few when they are on sale at $20.

Jon

I've not had much luck on popper type lures in my area but they may work fine in other areas. I have bought a few of these to try on tuna when they are surface feeding but these aren't poppers. I haven't used this new patern before but hope it works as well as the others, I certainly like the look!!

Jon

_DSC7629_zpskdq0jli1.jpg

_DSC7633_zpsixrvvhhz.jpg

Edited by JonD