Catching Blue Swimmer Crabs off the Beach

youngfisher10

I've heard reports of people catching blue swimmer crabs off beaches without a crab pot/trap, and i was wondering if anyone has done this and how do you go about it doing it? Any tips like locations around Sydney, times etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

some south Australia beaches have little or no swell and they catch blueys there...nsw blue swimmers are mainly caught in estuaries...lake Macquarie.botany.broken .Sydney harbor.most rivers have them..ive fished all my life..im 54 and have never caught a bluey in ocean waters nor seen one and I dive all the time...they can be caught on handlines with panty hose or fine mesh next to the bait for them to get tangled in..or just use bait and slowly bring them up then scoop before they let go...hope this helps...rick

I've heard reports of people catching blue swimmer crabs off beaches without a crab pot/trap, and i was wondering if anyone has done this and how do you go about it doing it? Any tips like locations around Sydney, times etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

If you extend the definition of "off the beach" to land based then absolutely you can. I've foul hooked one with a soft plastic once at Lake Narrabeen where I was standing on a sand bank excluded at low tide, so almost a beach :)

A better land based option would be to find a jetty in an estuary. Put half a pillie or a section of old flathead frame onto a 3 Hook gang below a running sinker on a handline. If you can find a jetty where someone has drilled a hole to rest a rod in put the middle of the handline over the hole and then put the landing net or a spare rod in the hole. If something starts pulling spool will spin in place rather than disappearing over the side.

The hooks don't hook the crab, they are just to hold the bait on well. When a crab picks up the bait and starts walking of you will see the spool start to spin. Carefully and slowly wind in the handline. If you feel the weight of something on there just take it easy and bring it up slowly. It is important not to try to lift a blue swimmer out with the line as they will just let go. When you have it just below the surface stop pulling and net it from below.

It is possible to do this with a rod, but IMO it is easier with a handle. My theory is that the bouncing you get when winding in a Rod either shakes the crab off or make it let go. The other advantage is that as ling as you keep an eye on the handline you can fish for other expected while you wait.

Many people will tell you that blues are a summer option, but my mate landed a nice one during the Hairtail Social so they are certainly around even in the dead of winter. Plenty in Brisbane Water as traps are banned up there.