Sussex Bar Crossing

matt_and_fish

That's fine Matt and all bars are dangerous and you should watch very carefully from land first before taking any risks leaving any bar ...check CHECK CHECK AGAIN

AND ONLY IF CONDITIONS ARE GOOD GO OUT AND SAME GOES FOR COMING BACK.

MAKE SURE THERE IS ANOTHER EXIT SPOT IN CASE CONDITIONS DETERIORATE

Hi Matt.

I haven't been over the bar for a few years now so it has no doubt changed.

In the past the bar wasn't overly dangerous just very shallow.

Once you go out out past the inlet you could take a hard left and have an easy run out.

If the bar was to dangerous to take this passage there was no way you would want to be reef fishing.

I've done a fair amount of bar crossing over the years and all deserve a little time and respect. As stated take a little time to wait and watch even on what looks like a flat day, heading out meeting oncoming waves even when quite small need to be taken with care.

Sometimes the swell is moving so fast with waves closely set that as soon as you get through one set the second is almost on you. Personaly I find the return much easier as you can normally drive the boat at the same speed as the swell. These days I look forward to challenging bar crossings ( when my daughter lets me get behind the wheel!!! ).

I filmed a little clip on my compact showing how deceiving our bar can be on what looks like a calm day.

Jon