South Coast Blackfish

Green Hornet

post-39656-0-32570700-1473740434_thumb.jpg

I decided to have a go for a blackfish or two this morning on a platform just south of Jervis Bay. It was disappointing to see a little more swell than I had expected and the spot I planned on fishing was way too dangerous. Plan B already had 2 guys fishing, so I opted for a north facing ledge offering a little protection from the south swell.

The first few drifts saw the resident pigs bust me up 3 casts in a row but after that they went quiet and gave me the chance to get into the blackies.

The fish were out the back of a wash and I managed four in fairly quick succession before the rising swell convinced me to give it away earlier than I had wanted.

Overall 4 blackfish between 31 and 36cm in a little under an hour and a half was a pretty pleasing result.

post-39656-0-95507900-1473740480_thumb.jpg

Thanks for reading

Pete

Edited by Green Hornet

Thanks for the replies.

The rock out the front is a great place to fish but as I said, the swell was too big on the day. I ended up fishing over in the left hand side of the pic.

There has been fatalities but not for a long time. I've fished there for 30 years or so and felt quite safe, but I do know when to leave.

Low rocks like that can be foolproof but not idiotproof.

Burger, I managed to keep my float. With a fairly heavy main line down to a 6lb trace, I've been fishing the same float since the mid 1980's.

Edited by Green Hornet

You'll know every nuance of that float then!!!!

What weight main do you use GH?

Sure do. The old float has had many coats of paint, a few new sets of guides and just never dies.

At that spot you quite often need long drifts and with a fair side current mending line is a real issue, so I prefer to use braid there. The stuff I use is Duel Hardcore X8 PE1.5, which is rated around 12kg, any thinner and I have trouble seeing it. I FG knot that to a length of 20lb fluorocarbon that I run the float through, then a short length of 12 or 8lb for my sinker and a 8 or 6lb trace, depending on how they're biting.

Other easier to fish spots I use 12lb floating mono off my Avon Royal Supreme III.

Do you pull many hooks with the braid? Or do the fc leaders give you enough stretch . . .

I don't think so, but I don't go as hard on them using braid as I would mono.

As I said before, at this place its hard to keep a straight line and striking a fish doesn't always work. Instead when I get a down I hold the rod at 90 degrees to the float and wind like hell until I come up tight to the fish. This is where the quicker line recovery of a spin reel is necessary.