Salmon are on the bite! (Updated 07.17)

Chaohuang

Hey guys, went for a flick after work today and was greeted with a school of salmon, good fun! Gave one of the fish to a fellow fisho and saved one for myself, opened it up and found heaps of white bait in their stomach. 60g long shore jig did the damage today.

post-38423-0-79397600-1475664863_thumb.jpg

post-38423-0-87777400-1475664902_thumb.jpg

Edited by mshuangchao

Hey guys, went for a flick after work today and was greeted with a school of salmon, good fun! Gave one of the fish to a fellow fisho and saved one for myself, opened it up and found heaps of white bait in their stomach. 60g long shore jig did the damage today.

Nice catch. At what depth did you jig 60g and what rod/reel did you use?

I've seen that whitebait scooting all around the place and have been wishing I knew my way around lure-fishing them!

Great couple of fish you've pulled there. What setup were you using?

Thanks! I was using Shimano Twin Power SW 8000 and Shimano Colt Sniper S1000H (Jp domestic model). The salmon were quite full and picky... I saw a fellow fisho spinning for them, but it didn't seem to work too well, with jigging, I can search the whole water column and have more control on the action of the jig to entice a bite!

Nice catch. At what depth did you jig 60g and what rod/reel did you use?

Thanks! It was a shallow spot, probably not even 10 meters. Shimano Twin Power SW 8000 and Shimano Colt Sniper S1000H (Jp domestic model).

Nice catch.

Down my way they're stuffing themselves with pilchards.

I caught one last weekend with 4 pilchards stuffed in its belly, another half hanging out of its throat and it still ate my lure.

Hahaha, they are a greedy lot these fish!

Went for another flick after work today and it was HOT! The fish seem a lot hungrier than last time, chasing poppers, stickbaits, jigs... it was fish after fish! I soon felt like I've had enough salmon action and changed spot, but the salmon were there as well! It seems salmon are all over the place at the moment, in close and in thick schools... have you guys seen any schools too? I landed 11 good sized salmon in total and kept two for a feed. Feels darn awesome!

post-38423-0-20077300-1475829035_thumb.jpg

post-38423-0-49107400-1475829080_thumb.jpg

post-38423-0-37214200-1475829116_thumb.jpg

Edited by mshuangchao

Couldn't keep away from them hey? Awesome catch. I normally get them in the bays on small liveys, I should start to bring the heavier rod if they are coming in!

Yeah, it is like that when they are thick! If targeting salmon I would suggest going light, since they are mainly just for sport and are clean fighters.

Yeah, it is like that when they are thick! If targeting salmon I would suggest going light, since they are mainly just for sport and are clean fighters.

Lighter is definitely for more fun! Usually I throw livies with the heavy rod trying to hook a nice king but often get chomped up by some fat salmon.

Occasionally I'll be trying to catch live yellowtail for bait using chicken and end up hooking a salmon. Always more fun and challenging on the lighter gear.

The first one I caught was on a 6'6 telescopic rod and 1000 reel. I'd just started fishing and didn't know what hit me!

Would you recommend unweighted pillies on a lighter setup off the jetty to target them in bays?

Lighter is definitely for more fun! Usually I throw livies with the heavy rod trying to hook a nice king but often get chomped up by some fat salmon.

Occasionally I'll be trying to catch live yellowtail for bait using chicken and end up hooking a salmon. Always more fun and challenging on the lighter gear.

The first one I caught was on a 6'6 telescopic rod and 1000 reel. I'd just started fishing and didn't know what hit me!

Would you recommend unweighted pillies on a lighter setup off the jetty to target them in bays?

Sorry mate can't give you good advice on bait fishing, I don't know much about it. But I would recommend you flick a metal and actively go search for them.

Hey mate are you fishing the sydney area? No need to divulge the spot (unless you want to over pm)

I'm looking at getting a shore jigging outfit asap

Hi there, I have no secret spot and fish all over the place, these salmon were all taken from the eastern suburbs. Yup, get that shore jigging outfit quick!