First Run Out In A While...

Coach

Took the boat out for its first run in two months!!!

(Bloody work cuts into my social time a bit too much)

Dropped her into the water just before dawn and it was really really quiet when i turned the key and nothing happened...

Looked at the boatramp drifting away and rechecked everything..then rechecked again...I had power, lights etc etc everything...in the end it was just 'User stupidity" (cut out switch had popped out) and after a little coaxing the yammie roared to life (bit too much juice, apologies to those living in the bayview area) and we werre off to barrenjoey.

Went for a quick troll just as the sun was rising and got a triple hookup on the nothern side of the point on Rapala Magnums.. three salmon, two fishermand and everything went nuts!!!

Boated one and "let" :074: the other two swim another day.

Then went to west head for half a dozen yakka's which were hard to get at first but then came on strong and steady after 20 minutes (kingy hanging around perhaps??)

Pushed out in messy water around 7-8K's off to secret spot "x+3" where we were plagued with Toadies and Leatherjackets snipping our lines..lots of muttong birds around "looking" but nothing really focusing on any schools

headed in for troll from Joey to Whale and back, got nothing until we were back at Joey were we got blasted big time!!! The fish had taken off and run for around 50 metres before we dropped him.. At no time were we in controll (My mates knees are still shakeing)

Kept heading home and hit another patch of salmon, double hookup..but only boated one

tried to berley in the moorings up in pitwater and give the rest of the yakka's a swim but nothing happened.

Went home,bit wet, only 2 fish..but all good... hopefully will get out there again soon!!!

Coach, sounds like a good day out mate........"Waking up the Neighbours".....to start

Checking out different places after a 2 month time out ...... Would have been nice to see what you hooked up on at Joey :1yikes: ......Iv e had a couple of those "we were never in control fish" and cant help but wish I had 37kg on the rod sometimes :biggrin2:

Its a long season and shes just astartin' :thumbup:

Yeah, It was a good day to be out there....next time though i'll try the old tried and tested reefs and see if I can get some of those ugly red lookin fish that clutch is always catching!!! :074:

Clutch: I recon it had to be a kingy at Joey, she hit hard and went down and out..like a freight train!!!

the question is how big!!!

but i guess there has to be a "one that got away" story

Already planning the next trip now.. bring on the warmer water!!!!

The salmon were hitting the Blue/white Rapala's (don't know the technical name sorry) in the morning, but I switched to gold when the sun came out after the rain and that got the most hits (It was what got "Wacked" and also picked up a sargent baker in a troll as well).

I like using the ones that are about 4-6" long, I think they are called Inox (or something like that..about $23 each and pretty solid looking)

Tend to fish "Gold" and "green" color's in the middle of the day and blue's + Greens in the mornings.. Dont know if this work's or not.. but its just something I have always done..(Sometimes its best not to ask why I do things the way I do)

I fish 8Kg on most of my sticks, but the big fella hit the right rod that day (12Kg fireline).

Normally I go for the snapper, but it was a bit messy and I had a new guy out that I want sure would handle it ok.. Was nice to go for a troll and see what was around and still get a few hits.

Just looked at the work diary.. its going to be another 4 weeks till I get out there again.. Hopefully that big fella will be ready for "round two"!!

(Not sure if we are though)