Best leader to tippet knot?

adamski

Hey folks,

Been looking up the best knot for a leader to tippet for fly fishing, but there doesn't seem to be a general consensus. Best I've seen is an improved blood knot which still broke at around 75% tensile strength, but double/triple surgeon's seems to be pretty popular too. Any fly fishermen/women use a different knot with a proven track record? I've used an FG for SPs, but I assume there's a reason it's not used in tippet tying?

Just out of curio too, aside from the casting benefits a tippet offers, is it worth deviating from, say, 8 foot of FC leader from the flyline?

Cheers,

Adam

Edited by adamski

Yeah, the triple surgeon seems the most common consensus. Sounds like an awesome trip, Stewie. Do you have particular species in mind? (I'm just after a flattie or a bream, just want to get that first saltwater fish on a fly!)

I don't do the fly stuff myself but the pr knot I tie using a JM bobbin has held in every braid to mono I've used without loosing knot strength. By the way Shimano now make a bobbin just like the JM version. The knots ( or twists) are a little tricky at first but there's plenty of YouTube videos showing how.

Jon

Hey folks,

Been looking up the best knot for a leader to tippet for fly fishing, but there doesn't seem to be a general consensus. Best I've seen is an improved blood knot which still broke at around 75% tensile strength, but double/triple surgeon's seems to be pretty popular too. Any fly fishermen/women use a different knot with a proven track record? I've used an FG for SPs, but I assume there's a reason it's not used in tippet tying?

Just out of curio too, aside from the casting benefits a tippet offers, is it worth deviating from, say, 8 foot of FC leader from the flyline?

Cheers,

Adam

Hi Adam,

When I make up my own tapered leaders, I always use a blood knot.

Main reason being, it goes through the guides smoother due to it's sleek profile.

I've not had one fail, although I've not tested them on any serious sized fish.

The triple surgeon's knot would be my second choice, it is a good knot, but not as sleek as the blood knot in it's profile.

What size leader / tippet were you thinking of using and what fish / size were you targeting?

I'd say the main benefits for using a tapered leader, aside from the line turning over better, would be a more stealthy approach, if using a longer rather than shorter leader.

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by foolforjesus

Tapered leaders are about transfer of power. It leads to better turnover as said above. Try turning over a small scud fly on a 15ft level leader as opposed to tapered! It also applies to bigger flies. The only time I use a level leader is why indicator nymphing with heavy bead heads for trout in fast water

Thanks for the replies gents! Originally I had a tapered 8.5 lb trout leader, but after changing flies a few times, I've added a 5lb tippet with the improved blood knot. The idea is to target bream and estuary species on the flats and around shallow areas. At the moment my tippet is way longer than it needs to be, I assume I only want about 2-3 ft max, right?

I've been out for 3 sessions so far, but haven't managed to get a fish on. I'm starting to get some decent distance on the flats every second cast with enough space for the back cast (there are still times when I wait too long and the back/forward cast hits the water sooner than I wanted, but I think that's more about timing than anything else), but it feels really good when you get it just right and the line unfurls perfectly. I think I can load the rod reasonably well if I remember to start by roll-casting and peeling the line off the surface. My main problem at the mo is the wind, which makes false casting difficult.

I bought a few weed flies in the hope of tempting some luderick, but as soon as I cast them for the first ime I realised they were unweighted and would only float on the surface. I have some shot, but I don't know whether to add it just above the fly or further down the line. The other flies (clauser, Homer shrimpson) that I've used so far have fallen to bits very quickly because of my poor back casts and hitting stuff behind me, but I'm hoping more practice will mean less wastage (fingers crossed!) and I want to start tying my own flies, but I'll need to buy a vice and materials.

So yeah, basically any advice you guys have is very welcome, I'm a complete newb to the fly fishing art, but very keen to learn!

Cheers, Adam