New outboard views

Karld

Hi,

I'm looking to repower my large 4.5m tinnie with either a 4 Stroke 50hp yamaha or honda, and I was wondering what views others had on these 2 engines.

Thanks 

Edited by Karld

Hey mate, welcome aboard!

They are both pretty good engines. If the engine weight is the same, I would probably lean towards the Honda just purely based on the design of the throttle control, gauges etc! I don't like the Yamaha gauges :P

But see what kind of dealer support you have around your area as you will most likely be servicing it with them.

HONDA has better hole shot and i'm not afraid to admit i'm very biased towards HONDA

in the last 2 years i have been in a 6m bsb with a 250hp a 18' cat with twin 90 a 24' cat with

twin 150 and my little tinny with a 40hp all HONDA'S and all i can say is this mob have it sorted

just lift the cowling and have a look at the wiring harness's and you will see what i mean .

Hey mate. I have a bf60 Honda 4stroke. Really nice engine. Runs on fumes. My boat is a 449 stacer and the motor gets it up and moving really well. 

It is whisper quiet. 

Being a 4 stroke it is a bit more to service but you also don't have the fumes of a 2 stroke to deal with. 

What put me off Honda having once had one was the fact servicing and parts were far more than Yamaha. Just to add you will see far more yamaha's on comercial boats such as house boats and tour boats due to the reliability and low running costs. 

A recent trip to the Daintree I got to chat with one tour operator that owned three boats running twin Yams on each, the boat I was on had over 7000hrs on the f70's and the other two boats had over 10000hrs on the f50's.

I had my f70 300 hr service this week which included fuel and oil filters, impellour and oils etc for $200. This was from a mobile Yamaha mechanic on the south coast, as you can imagine at those prices he's extremely busy and very hard to get.

Jon

Thanks for the info, I currently have a 11 year old yammy 40hp 4 Stroke tiller model on the back which starts first time and runs very well despite having compressions of 40 40 and 170. I've had it checked by a couple of different yards and they are amazed it still runs. I  guess that says something about yamaha.

Looks like i can't go wrong with either, so it will come  down  to cost and the best deal I can get in the sydney area.

Thanks for your views.

Edited by Karld

2 hours ago, Karld said:

Thanks for the info, I currently have a 11 year old yammy 40hp 4 Stroke tiller model on the back which starts first time and runs very well despite having compressions of 40 40 and 170. I've had it checked by a couple of different yards and they are amazed it still runs. I  guess that says something about yamaha.

Looks like i can't go wrong with either, so it will come  down  to cost and the best deal I can get in the sydney area.

Thanks for your views.

Just be mindful that in some areas finding a Honda dealer or mechanic may not be as easy as other brands. If you plan on towing the outfit to areas outside major city's and have a problem it could mean a wasted trip if you need a simple part like I did in the NT. Also ask about the price of service kits, someone on here recently mentioned a several thousand $$$$ bill from their 250hr old Honda.

jon