Sunday blackfish bonanza

luderick -angler

After a slow day yesterday in the ha our doing some recon on a few spots, Trevor, Paul and myself hot the stones this morning welcomed by a warm breeze and a great sunrise. We chose to walk into a higher protected spot north of Watomalla facing south. The run up produced a few fish but it was on the turn and the drop it really fired up. We ended up with 26 and kept 20 as there was a few orders with the neighbours needed filling! Strangely we got 90 percent of our fish on weed collected from the estuary yesterday! Cabbage only producing the odd fish. Was great to be amongst it on the stones. Now to give them a break and chase a few trout next weekend....

image.jpg

Guest hawkesbass

Mate it was a top day out.

The fish made the drive and walk in/out worth it.

Paul getting the days tally underway was a first for quite awhile.

And as usual the banter between mates was outstanding.

Also great to have a spot all to ourselves for a change.

Great report mate and a top session surely pleasing your neighbors!

I have had some good sessions as a kid climbing all over Swansea Bridge for luderick with local weed.

Recently I was in Crescent Head and there were a few guys catching plenty of luderick with artificial weed....

I know you must have heard of it already just making the point that it is out there and possibly getting your thoughts?

My opinion is I find it very hard to believe it's as good as fresh weed however not having to re-bait every second cast is a bonus?

Cheers, James

18 hours ago, swano said:

Nice session fellas, surprised the fly rod didn't get a hit out?

Mate the ledge is a bit high to fly fish off mate! Would have been difficult to land fish! Though was kicking myself for not taking it as there were some massive bust ups close in to the ledge well within casting distance! 

18 hours ago, RexSenior said:

Great report mate and a top session surely pleasing your neighbors!

I have had some good sessions as a kid climbing all over Swansea Bridge for luderick with local weed.

Recently I was in Crescent Head and there were a few guys catching plenty of luderick with artificial weed....

I know you must have heard of it already just making the point that it is out there and possibly getting your thoughts?

My opinion is I find it very hard to believe it's as good as fresh weed however not having to re-bait every second cast is a bonus?

Cheers, James

The artificial weed flies can be every as bit effective if not some times better. Yesterday they were taking a weed fly under a traditional rig but very finicky and hard to hook the real thing was nailing it. This time last year I outfished three of the boys using the four of and weed flies landing 15 in a short session the next best capture was four fish on bait! If they are in the mood they will smash the fly you just have to experiment some days and work out what's producing best!