Poddy Mullet as surf bait

Fufu

Hi all

Im thinking of going out and catching some poddy mullet to be used as beach bait. 

Not chasing anything inperticular, just the usual tailor, salmon etc. whatever comes my way really. 

My question is, how long can poddy mullet (live) survive in the surf off beaches such as north narrabeen and maroubra. 

I understand the conditions play a part, but has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks in advance 

Another option are trumpeter whiting, no actual size limit on these and good bait for jewfish in the surf, as well as the usual PJ sharks, sharks and rays :(

You do need to be able to tell the trumpeter apart from sand whiting which have a minimum size in nsw.

Matt

On 11/14/2016 at 2:19 PM, macman said:

Another option are trumpeter whiting, no actual size limit on these and good bait for jewfish in the surf, as well as the usual PJ sharks, sharks and rays :(

You do need to be able to tell the trumpeter apart from sand whiting which have a minimum size in nsw.

Matt

Anything I should be looking out for to tell the differences?

4 hours ago, macman said:

The trumpeter whiting have blotches along the sides, they may have other distinguishing feature, but that what I use. Do an internet search they are also called diver whiting or winter whiting.

Matt

Cheers for tips