Port Stephens, First Fishing Trip In A While.

Berleyguts

I've been very inactive on Fishraider and on the water of late. My gear was growing cobwebs!

A couple of months ago we moved our son into our investment property at Shoal Bay, so, although I was able to visit Port Stephens frequently, the trips have all been about moving furniture and belongings, repairs and maintenance etc. Part of the deal in us giving a discount on the rent is that I get to leave my boat there. ;)

So, my wife is now working a week or two per month in Newcastle and stays with our son in Shoal as it's a pleasant 1 hour commute! Am I jealous or what?! Anyway, I'm finally taking a week or so's holiday and arrived here on Thursday afternoon. I had a late start yesterday and decided not to fish outside and chose the Soldiers Point boat ramp for ease of solo launching. Spent the morning  fishing between Soldiers Point and Nelson Bay. I had a great time catching a lot of sand whiting but none were quite legal size. I released a shovel nose and fishing near the Corlette wreck, I spent about 15 minutes fighting a fish on light gear only to bust the trace. I didn't really get any head shakes so I suspect it was a ray. The nearby boats enjoyed the show anyway!

I hope to put in a more concerted effort over the next week - I have to produce some results or the missus might make me sell the boat!

I should have gone offshore yesterday as it looks like it would have been the best sea day during my time here. Oh well! I went out of Port a few weeks ago on my own and got the best show of breaching whales I ever had... now I have to find whales for the missus before the season ends!

Edited by Berleyguts
Typos

Well get your butt out there now baz! I'm looking at a glass out while the Aussies in the cricket just blacked out! 

I wish I was out there but I've got the little ones, whilst my eldest goes and collects some crays! 

Looking forward to dinner! 

Catch up with you soon!

cheers scratchie!!! 

3 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Well get your butt out there now baz! I'm looking at a glass out while the Aussies in the cricket just blacked out! 

I wish I was out there but I've got the little ones, whilst my eldest goes and collects some crays! 

Looking forward to dinner! 

Catch up with you soon!

cheers scratchie!!! 

Well, Jeff... as the weather forecast was for rain and wind all day, I promised the missus I'd help clean and fix things around the house. But once the rain stopped, the weather turned out fabulous!

Dont know that I'll take the boat out this arvo but maybe I'll walk down the end of the street and flick a plastic off the shore.