Fishing gear_help!!

Newaz

Hello beautiful people, 

I am new to the forum and trying to get started with salt water fishing; NEED HELP with fishing stuffs. 

What salt water reels, braids, rods do I need? I intend to catch smaller to bigger fish with the same gears. 

If possibly anyone can put some light on this in a bit details with what brand shall i go with as well; so far I have choosen shimano socorro sw 6000 or penn spinfisher V 6500, please suggest. 

Thanks in advance. 

Welcome to Fishraider Newaz. Your question is too broad based mate. There are stacks of books and videos on the topic of what fishing gear you need...but you have to break it down a bit, if you want some advice. You appear to have very little experience of fishing. Start by telling us where you will go fishing or what you would like to catch. Then we'll be able to give you the help which you need. Looking forward to hearing from you. BN

Salmon on the beach and a reel in the 6000/650 range should be able right (a tad heavy but you can also use it for bigger stuff such as sharks/jewies). Match this to a 9/10ft rod in a medium-heavy rating and you should have a good beach combo.

As for line I'd use 15lb braid (you'll fit a lot of that on a 6000 reel). It is a matter of preference so depending on the line rating of your rod anything up to 30lb is reasonable.

This is a good salmon/tailor outfit but it is very much overkill for smaller species such as bream and flathead.

If you're fishing off jetties and wharves a shorter rod and a small reel would be a better combo.

5 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

Salmon on the beach and a reel in the 6000/650 range should be able right (a tad heavy but you can also use it for bigger stuff such as sharks/jewies). Match this to a 9/10ft rod in a medium-heavy rating and you should have a good beach combo.

As for line I'd use 15lb braid (you'll fit a lot of that on a 6000 reel). It is a matter of preference so depending on the line rating of your rod anything up to 30lb is reasonable.

This is a good salmon/tailor outfit but it is very much overkill for smaller species such as bream and flathead.

If you're fishing off jetties and wharves a shorter rod and a small reel would be a better combo.

Thank heaps Mike! Appreciate :)

Mate, welcome to the forum.   May be, you could tell also your budget  and how you are going to target your small and large fish - lures or bait?  So, people can give suggestions that will fit better to your requirements.

As Mike 89 says you will need a 10 -12 ft rod for beach fishing. With the reel I would put some 20 lb mono on first. Half fill the reel with this, then the 30lb braid and use a double paternoster rig. That allows you to use 2 different baits on the one rod. If you don't know any of these terms look them up on youtube. With beach fishing it's best to find gutters along the beach and ALWAYS use berley. If you have any other questions just ask away. People on here are very helpful. Remember to put the time in...early morning and late afternoon are best for many fish, especially Salmon. Good luck Newaz. BN

4 hours ago, big Neil said:

As Mike 89 says you will need a 10 -12 ft rod for beach fishing. With the reel I would put some 20 lb mono on first. Half fill the reel with this, then the 30lb braid and use a double paternoster rig. That allows you to use 2 different baits on the one rod. If you don't know any of these terms look them up on youtube. With beach fishing it's best to find gutters along the beach and ALWAYS use berley. If you have any other questions just ask away. People on here are very helpful. Remember to put the time in...early morning and late afternoon are best for many fish, especially Salmon. Good luck Newaz. BN

Thank you BN. Truely speaking, people here are friendly, everytime I ask for advice, someone is there. Appreciate it!! :)

6 hours ago, savit said:

Mate, welcome to the forum.   May be, you could tell also your budget  and how you are going to target your small and large fish - lures or bait?  So, people can give suggestions that will fit better to your requirements.

Thanks savit. My budget, in between $300-$400,includes reel, rod & lining. I am actually trying for salmon, heading towards stanwell park beach & coalcliff beach in 3 days time, if weather permits. Will go with pillies and will try with lures as well as I ll hve mates with me. Truely apreciate any suggestions from you all . :)

I'm going to suggest something slightly different but perfect for your target species.  Try an Aussie reel

ALVEY

Here is a post on another forum that pretty much gives you everything needed to get started.   I almost exclusively fish with Alvey's when using bait from the beach.

http://alveyanglersforum.boards.net/thread/153/alvey-beach-fishing-australian-salmon

On 14/11/2016 at 4:53 PM, big Neil said:

What kind of and how do you burley when fishing at the beach?

1 hour ago, Mike89 said:

What kind of and how do you burley when fishing at the beach?

G'day Mike, usually cut pilchards into 3 or 4 pieces and toss them into the wash. They are quite oily and will attract fish to the vicinity (often the gutter) where you're fishing. Chopped up squid or old fish bits will do the job. It's really no different than setting up a berley trail from the boat...to bring the fish to your baits. Don't overdo the amount though , you just want to get the fish in the area and feeding. Neil.