Sydney FAD Sunday 20/11

mypeeps99

First time visitor to the Sydney FAD on Sunday and started with a some jigs (first time as well), almost immediately snagged some Gemfish up to 50cm. I'd marked the spot and we kept catching them every time we drifted over it and they kept coming until our bag/boat limit was quickly full.  Good fun but I did lose a few jigs as I found our 15lb leaders were snipped - is that too light? ...I assume that's the gemfish teeth doing that.

Picked up a nice trevally on a SP which was also fun.

Can someone confirm the fish at the end is a Yellow Finned Whiting? just didn't expect to catch one there.

Overall pretty happy with that and hope it gets better with the warmer seas -I'll be back.

FAD.JPG

They are not Gemfish but Barracouta and you should know the difference as there are strict bag limits on gemmies

gemfish.png gemfish

untitled.png barracouta

pike.png yellowfinned PIKE

You my friend need to get a book from fisheries showing the species as clearly you have no idea and may take a protected species

Hey Apeople,

What you have there is a good selection of Barracouta not Gemfish. The fish to the right is a Trevally and the one with the yellow tail to the left is a Pike.

I don't eat Barracouta, but you can eat the Pike however they are average eating.

Jemfish are found in very deep water.

We went out yesterday micro jigging in 50m and were plagued by Barracouta. I caught over 20 of them. I lost one Jig and three hooks. We did catch good snapper but we went through hell with all the Couta's.

I run a 17Pound leader and to that i tie a 60 Pound leader of around 40cm. This stopped the bastards rubbing my leader down. I end up replacing this but I keep my jigs. It probably has a negative effect on how many snapper I catch but if your fishing around Barracouta you don't have a choice.

They love love love love micro jigs.

I have also found that when you get to the bottom without hooking a Couta leave the jig on the bottom for as long as you can. They bugger off and you can then jig for the snapper on the bottom without the Couta's getting it. They follow the jig down and bugger off when it does nothing.

Edited by recurve

2 minutes ago, recurve said:

Hey Apeople,

What you have there is a good selection of Barracouta not Jemfish. The fish to the right is a Trevally and the one with the yellow tail to the left is a Pike.

I don't eat Barracuda, but you can eat the Pike however they are average eating.

Jemfish are found in very deep water.

We went out yesterday micro jigging in 50m and were plagued by Barracuda's. I caught over 20 of them. I lost one Jig and three hooks. We did catch good snapper but we went through hell with all the Cuda's.

I run a 17Pound leader and to that i tie a 60 Pound leader of around 40cm. This stopped the bastards rubbing my leader down. I end up replacing this but I keep my jigs. It probably has a negative effect on how many snapper I catch but if your fishing around Barracuda you don't have a choice.

They love love love love micro jigs.

I have also found that when you get to the bottom without hooking a Cuda leave the jig on the bottom for as long as you can. They bugger off and you can then jig for the snapper on the bottom without the Cuda's getting it. They follow the jig down and bugger off when it does nothing.

They are in fact barracouta not to be confused with the tropical species

barracuda.png Barracuda

Gemfish is with a G as well

22 minutes ago, swordfisherman said:

They are not Gemfish but Barracouta and you should know the difference as there are strict bag limits on gemmies

gemfish.png gemfish

untitled.png barracouta

pike.png yellowfinned PIKE

You my friend need to get a book from fisheries showing the species as clearly you have no idea and may take a protected species

Thanks for the info, really helpful. I use the  new DPI app and the pamphlet, but I guess they don't have all species listed especially if there are no limits on them.

Is there a more complete reference to ID fish? 

There are many books out there but one I recommend is the Australian Fishing Networks (AFN) fish ID book. There is a convenient waterproof version available. I keep one in my boat glovebox myself, it is by no means a Grant's Guide to Fishes but is a good resource to have on board.