Kingfish Setup for Kayak

flattiefisher27

G'day Raiders, 

With summer on the way, the kingfish will be coming through in mass numbers and I was wondering what the best light setup for kings off a kayak would be, a rod that I could use for live baiting as well as trolling and flicking lures and soft plastics, and a reel to match the part to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Jacob

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Guest123456789

Here is what I have just bought for spinning for kings this summer

Samaki zing 12-25lbs rod 7 foot. $100

pfleugar salt 4000 $125

platypus low stretch mono 6kg, got about 250 metres on the spool. $14

All up $240 which I'm very happy with.

Havent used it yet, should go well I think.IMG_1089.JPGIMG_1090.JPG

Edited by Guest123456789
Typo

• 2 months later...

Hi flatheadluke,

Just wondering how the new king setup went this summer. How has it handled the rats, bandits and hoodlums? Interested in your opinion after using it for a couple of months.

Cheers,

Undy 

Guest Guest123456789
2 hours ago, undy said:

Hi flatheadluke,

Just wondering how the new king setup went this summer. How has it handled the rats, bandits and hoodlums? Interested in your opinion after using it for a couple of months.

Cheers,

Undy 

Hi Undy,

ive connected with just two rats unfortunately, so the sample size is small. I have hooked lots of tailor, bonito and salmon however and I can tell you the ultra light set up is way too undergunned. A few 2kg bonito and a 2kg+ tailor I had to fight for far too long. As you know the longer the fight the higher chance of losing the fish and/or your lure, plus when the bite is hot you want to pole them in not buggar around with a single fish for too long. Plus I don't think you get a better hook rate (even in clear water on the surface) on the super light line. Also the drag and gears on the 4000 are a bit too weak for my liking.

Mu favourite set up at the moment is a 6000 reel spooled with 20lbs braid with 5 metres of platypus low stretch mono (10kg 37mm). I hooked one rat (just under legal) on the surface 8 metres above reef and didn't keep the fish off it entirely (the leader was chaffed) but did manage to dictate terms and boat it before releasing. What sort of set up are you running?

Luke

Edited by Guest123456789
Typo

Hi Luke,

I don't really have a suitable setup at the moment to target kings. Very confused at the moment as to what is most suitable for my needs. I fish mainly from a kayak and landbased. I'd like to have something that can be used for bait, flicking sps and hardbody casting/trolling xraps - if such a thing exists. I'd prefer something where I'd still have some fun with the rats while not getting totally smashed by 75-80cm models.

Looking at a Socorro 6000 or 8000 (10kg v 12kg drag)  with a Triton 6-10kg 7'6 combo on sale currently at blah blah blah.  Maybe 20-30kg braid. Leader depends on where I'm fishing.

Also considering a Nasci 5000 (11kg drag) which is much lighter in the hand, or Daiwa Bg 4500 (10kg drag).

As you can see, not too sure, but feel free to advise if you have any thoughts on these.

Undy

Guest Guest123456789

Hi Undy,

Triton is a great rod, I have two. Check the tips though some models are more flexible and suited to bait fishing.

personally I think a 5000 to 6000 is the right size. Too large and the retrieve rate is too slow and it's too heavy. Too small and the drag is too weak, line capacity too small and gears aren't strong enough. 

Braid, again personally I like 20lbs (.25 diameter) braid. Low diameter enough to cast well yet strong enough to turn the drag up when fighting in close quarters.

You might want to consider two rods, one for the yak and one for the rocks. 7'6 can be a bit short in some spots, so if you have two you can get one that's maybe 6'6+ and one that's 9 feet+. Certainly a lot safer and can make a lot of difference getting the right rod size and it's easy enough to change the reel each trip. Also you often want a small stiff rod for the SP's (maybe smaller than 7,6 if you're standing up in the yak). Depends a lot on the locations you fish.

Guest Guest123456789

And if you want a reel recommendation the pfleugar salt or penn spinfisher V(NOT the live liner) are the best value IMO. NO anti reverse, carbon fibre drag and reasonable priced. Annoyingly, they have both just had their prices increased, haggle hard though and you should pick one up for $125. Maybe enough savings to get that second rod?

Thanks for the tips Luke. I will certainly check out the Penn and Pflueger.

There seems to be a Salt and a Salt 2. Seems the Salt can be cheaper in some places if they are trying to clear them. Not really sure what the difference is. Which do you have?

The Nasci can be had for $134 currently but I haven't heard much about them and they don't have the pedigree of the Spinfisher and Salt etc. It is certainly much lighter in weight and not sure how it will handle the rough conditions. 

Also, which of the Triton models are you using and for what purpose?

I don't fish much from the rocks but I do some beach fishing, so a 9'+ rod is definitely a good idea. 

Guest Guest123456789
4 hours ago, undy said:

Thanks for the tips Luke. I will certainly check out the Penn and Pflueger.

There seems to be a Salt and a Salt 2. Seems the Salt can be cheaper in some places if they are trying to clear them. Not really sure what the difference is. Which do you have?

The Nasci can be had for $134 currently but I haven't heard much about them and they don't have the pedigree of the Spinfisher and Salt etc. It is certainly much lighter in weight and not sure how it will handle the rough conditions. 

Also, which of the Triton models are you using and for what purpose?

I don't fish much from the rocks but I do some beach fishing, so a 9'+ rod is definitely a good idea. 

You're welcome. I have the salt 4000, 5000 and 6000. I have the SSV 3500 and 8500. The local tackle store told me the cheap salts are the American versions which you can tell by the words salt on the spool. The empty letters are the good one (like my pic) the solid letters are the bad reel.

i have the triton 2-4 kg and the 4 to 8kg. I use them for spinning from the boat so they're the shorter 6,6 rods.

If you're beach fishing then you might want 12 foot plus rod for casting distance.   @outdoordan Is the man to ask in this regard.

IMG_1602.JPG