Harbour blackies

Mike89

Headed out today for a lazy session on the run-up tide to a new spot I've been having some luck with.

Took a while to get set up and gather a bit of bait, chop burley and rig up but soon enough I had my float in the water. I was using long thin weed which I had previously only had some success with catching a couple of undersize fish last weekend.

After a few casts I had a nice solid down which came up to be a good sized fish. I'm just learning to fight the fish using an Alvey special blackie reel but am starting to get the hang of it. One thing I haven't mastered is subduing the fish enough to hold the line and rod with one hand and net the fish myself. I tried pulling the first fish off onto the rocks with some success but a wave knocked him back in the water and I had to fight him again before an older bloke fishing a little bit down from me came by with the net to scoop up the fish.

First one in the bag! This was followed very quickly by another one which a passer-by kindly netted for me and a couple more soon after. Not so much burley but it did seem to encourage the bite. All good firm hits hooked on the first down.

Not long after the fourth fish the wind picked up and I decided I'd had my fun and packed it in.

20161122_160818.jpg

Took two home for a nice fresh feed and gave the older bloke the other two for being such a champion on the net.

Good session!

Edited by Mike89

On 11/22/2016 at 3:26 AM, Mike89 said:

Headed out today for a lazy session on the run-up tide to a new spot I've been having some luck with.

Took a while to get set up and gather a bit of bait, chop burley and rig up but soon enough I had my float in the water. I was using long thin weed which I had previously only had some success with catching a couple of undersize fish last weekend.

After a few casts I had a nice solid down which came up to be a good sized fish. I'm just learning to fight the fish using an Alvey special blackie reel but am starting to get the hang of it. One thing I haven't mastered is subduing the fish enough to hold the line and rod with one hand and net the fish myself. I tried pulling the first fish off onto the rocks with some success but a wave knocked him back in the water and I had to fight him again before an older bloke fishing a little bit down from me came by with the net to scoop up the fish.

First one in the bag! This was followed very quickly by another one which a passer-by kindly netted for me and a couple more soon after. Not so much burley but it did seem to encourage the bite. All good firm hits hooked on the first down.

Not long after the fourth fish the wind picked up and I decided I'd had my fun and packed it in.

20161122_160818.jpg

Took two home for a nice fresh feed and gave the older bloke the other two for being such a champion on the net.

Good session!

nice one there mike! been back to balmain lately? i could see blackies around but i dont have weed to target them lol

On 25/11/2016 at 0:18 AM, papafish said:

nice one there mike! been back to balmain lately? i could see blackies around but i dont have weed to target them lol

Yeah I have but not much luck over there!

Update on this one is that I've been back there a couple of times since for a few very short sessions and have had a good couple of downs and one fish each time.

Managed to start netting the fish myself too, which is an improvement!

Cheers!

13 hours ago, Mike89 said:

Yeah I have but not much luck over there!

Update on this one is that I've been back there a couple of times since for a few very short sessions and have had a good couple of downs and one fish each time.

Managed to start netting the fish myself too, which is an improvement!

Cheers!

Netting them yourself is always a tricky art. Good stuff.

8 hours ago, papafish said:

anything around balmain

?

The ferry wharf at East Balmain has some cabbage growing around the pylons. There is also plenty of stringy weed off the rocks in the reserve just south of the ferry wharf. I've taken cabbage from the wharves at Balmain and Drummoyne, but as BA said it is getting much harder to come by with the warmer weather.

Send me a text and we will have a session if you're keen!