A few Blackfish from today 30/10/2016

blackfish angler

Good bag there and some nice sized fish in the mix. Nice session!

Do you eat the fish from that area? I have occasionally taken fish from Balmain as I figure it is so close to the bridge but I'm also wondering what others' policies on this might be.

4 hours ago, papafish said:

nice catch as usual. since your a local, i wanted to ask you this. are fish from birchgrove and balmain eatable? just been hearing alot about fish can't and should not be consume around the area...?

Hi mate I fine the fish from those places are fine to eat but most of my fishing I take photos of the fish and let them go .

I would not eat any fish from around the Home Bush and 

Ryde Bridge but I always look at fish fish to see if they look ok if not I put back .

I have just found on the Internet a good read on the eating of fish in the Harbour.( Anglers ignoring Sydney Harbour Health Warnings ) I would say all fisherman should look at this .

Edited by blackfish angler

Pretty sure the DPI has a recommended amount to limit eating of fish taken west of the bridge.

I wonder about the difference in Dioxin levels of fish that eat bottom dwelling/feeding crustaceans compared to primarily vegetarians like blackfish.

Edited by Burger

Guest Guest123456789
12 minutes ago, luderick -angler said:

Okay tell me this! You catch a luderick at North head how the hell do you know where it's been for how long etc etc....they're a travelling fish! 

You don't and it's a question I have often wondered what the answer to is. Are there any reports from DPI explaining how they arrived at the policy? I suspect it is based on statistical analysis. IE luderick at north head have this amount of dioxin on average. Luderick at Balmain have this amount of dioxins on average. It would be interesting to know the sample sizes and when the samples were taken. If they were small samples and/or taken many years ago then I would question the validity of the advice about the Sade consumption of fish in Sydney harbour.

In any event, I think in relation to health the precautionary principle should be adhered to. That is, follow the DPI advice. I remember a 60 minutes episode that had a family who regularly consumed relatively small amounts of seafood west of the harbour bridge over many years. They had their dioxin levels tested and the readings were incredibly high. I understand it's a health condition whereby no symptoms can exist for many years than one day you're diagnosed with terminal cancer. A scary thought!!

1 hour ago, luderick -angler said:

Okay tell me this! You catch a luderick at North head how the hell do you know where it's been for how long etc etc....they're a travelling fish! 

True of course. I seldom fish catch and release for luderick, one of the reasons I don't fish west of the bridge that often. I think if people are sensible and observe the DPI guidelines, its probably as good a guide as any.

12 hours ago, luderick -angler said:

I was once told by CSIRO guys that I would need to eat 10 ton of fish a year for ten years from a known murk to have an adverse effect. But as the boys say it is precautionary advice and is there for a reason

I was lead to believe that you had to eat fish every day for years to have an effect but eating just a couple of days a week was to be ok ?????????.

I have taken and eaten fish from places west of the Harbour Bridge, but only just west. As far as I know, the pollutants are concentrated in the Meadowbank/Homebush area due to industrial activities years ago. In places such as Rhodes fishing is strictly prohibited because of this (which is a shame, Rhodes is such a beautiful area with great water access).

Even Middle Harbour supposedly has high levels of microplastics in the water system due to the dumping of chemical products over time. Bream taken from Sugarloaf Bay should not be eaten because of this (I think other species would be OK-ish). Unfortunately for me I had taken and eaten a couple of bream from this area before reading about this!

DPI advice is to not eat fish west of the bridge at all and that is a good policy. However as others have mentioned it is hard to tell when fish obviously move about to different areas in the water system. It's a personal choice, but although I do take the odd fish west of the bridge I personally wouldn't be eating too much of it.

Edited by Mike89