Went for kingys ended up with gars

Mischief

Hey all, i ended up getting a late start because the tiler had to finish tiling my bathroom. Got down to the harbour landbased around 10:30, with the aim of using some fresh cuttle fish and squid i caught the night before to temp a kingfish.. Well the kingys didnt show up after 2 whole squid and 1 cuttlefish been eaten by the pickers. So i decided to start berlying with some bread when i noticed a heap of garfish, so i decided to have go at trying to catch a few. Iv never caught a gar before so this was a first for me. Anyways, no kingys but ended up with 10 gars caught on strips of squid, hopefully next time il come home with a nice kingy... til next time, tight lines fishraiders...

1480481250805199386722.jpg

Nice work, it's good to come home with something! There do seem to be plenty of gars about at the moment, plenty of fun when the big fellas aren't biting.

Great eating, awesome bait. I usually use the smaller ones for bait and keep the bigger ones for a feed.

Reminds me, I need to get into a gar session as my frozen supplies are a little low.

Great effort!

Hey Raiders, they were caught using tiny green hooks like the ones for blackfish with no float or sinker, i did put a larger swivel on to get the bait just under the top of the surface. All caught on my xfactor squid rod with 8lb leader. I did put one out as a livey but no takers yesterday and last night fried about 4 for the wife and i, now i think my wifes found one of her new favorite fish to eat.. they were beautiful, soughter kinda like whiting.. yummy 

5 hours ago, Mischief said:

Hey Raiders, they were caught using tiny green hooks like the ones for blackfish with no float or sinker, i did put a larger swivel on to get the bait just under the top of the surface. All caught on my xfactor squid rod with 8lb leader. I did put one out as a livey but no takers yesterday and last night fried about 4 for the wife and i, now i think my wifes found one of her new favorite fish to eat.. they were beautiful, soughter kinda like whiting.. yummy 

Thanks Mischief. So, did you use common 6 or 8 blackfish hook size or dropped to 10 or 12 size?

On 12/1/2016 at 6:49 AM, Mischief said:

thanks for the info

On Thursday, December 01, 2016 at 0:10 PM, savit said:

Thanks Mischief. So, did you use common 6 or 8 blackfish hook size or dropped to 10 or 12 size?

I think they were a 8s but not 100% sure. Id say you would be able to get them on all the sizes you have mentioned.

Yes, they really are a top eating fish.

The smallest blackfish hooks that you can find will work. Wrap a tiny piece of bread squished together around your hook. Tiny baits like prawn or chicken also work. You will sometimes get a tonne of fish with this but other times it might be tricky.

In my experience the smallest hook you can find, even a very small fly hook will produce the absolute best results. Sometimes they are tricky and shy of the bait. With small hooks they are less inhibited and will just take your bait, even when they are not really on the chew. 

Edited by Mike89

My take is id sooner eat the gars than the kings just my take,

find them when getting bait occasionally and its a happy by catch

generally catch on the same as my yakka kit 10 or 12 long shank on an unweighted line 4 or 6 lb hand line

Edited by austwave

Fisherman's bay, Maianbar......swarming with them :) Kingy biscuts :), got these just before last full moon @Gunamatta Bay, and the mako out the back of the bombie :) ,Hacking fishing well just need to do some K'ms to find em :)

jew.jpg