What is JDM product?

savit

After recent  browsing of several  Shimano websites, I am getting confused what is JDM product e.g. rod or reel.

I know what JDM stands for. However, in your, opinion, when the product is  JDM and when it is not JDM?

Thanks,

savit

Thanks, Raymondo. My understanding was the same.

So, If Australian or New Zealand Shimano  advertises and describe products as 'JDM'  in their AU/NZ product catalogues, do they still remain 'JDM' status even they are officially sold outside of Japan by manufacture?

Some examples are below:

http://www.shimanofish.com.au/products/fishing-rods/baitcast/zodias-bc.html

http://www.shimanofishing.co.nz/products/rods/all-1/light-game-ss-jdm

My only experience with this is car parts about a decade ago (when I was young and cool ;) ), but to be a genuine JDM product it is initially sold to the consumer or their advocate within the Japanese retail market, there after it may be imported. Often JDM products, in the automotive industry at least don't meet our very strict ADR laws making imports difficult.  Of course there are many ways to skin a cat and obtain JDM products. . But the INTENTION  was for JDM products to be sold only in Japan. Im sure this intention changes due to demand, consumer polls etc .So if shimano sell it bran new and direct to Australia than technically it is no longer a JDM product. From my experience JDM products sh#t all over our local offerings  for technology, materials, performance etc. Be wary , the JDM tag is often used as a marketing ploy and in reality was never released on the Japanese market. Happy shopping.

Edited by Raymondo