One in the bag

Mike89

Headed out this morning for a short session at Balmain just after the tide had started to run out. After a few drifts using string weed off the rocks I had a bit of a suspicious down on my float and lifted to come up tight on a nice blackie around 35cm which an older gentleman kindly netted for me after a satisfying tussle.

20161201_131946.jpg

Stayed for around an hour after that but as the wind was picking up and the tide was starting to get pretty low I packed up the blackie gear and tried for some garfish at another spot around the corner as planned.

A few garries turned up on the burley but nothing serious like the schools that came through the week before. Still, they were pretty hungry and I managed to pick up a nice bait-sized gar and another bigger table-sized gar before they took off for good.

Good session, will try these spots again on a proper run-up this weekend as the high tide hits around lunchtime. Should be good!

Edited by Mike89

Guest hawkesbass

Hey mike are you getting enough weed to mix berly with?

Mixing the weed with sand helps it sink to where the fish are and brings them on the chew.

Without berly you will only get passing fish and not schooled up where you are fishing.

2 hours ago, hawkesbass said:

Hey mike are you getting enough weed to mix berly with?

Mixing the weed with sand helps it sink to where the fish are and brings them on the chew.

Without berly you will only get passing fish and not schooled up where you are fishing.

Cheers for the tips mate. I always use a burley of sand, bread and weed to varying degrees of success. I do find though that the days that they are really on and hold in the area are pretty few and far between.

Back out this morning and pulled a nice one.

Guest hawkesbass

Ditch the bread from your berly unless you are fishing with bread for bait.

Mix only weed and sand for your berly as the luderick can be tuned into the bread and nothing else.