PFDs now mandatory

Trial of new life jacket rules for rock fishers starts today

From 1 December, it is now mandatory to wear a life jacket when rock fishing in the Randwick Local Government Area in South Sydney.

For the following 12 months, law enforcement officers will be warning fishers and providing advice on the new The Rock Fishing Safety Act 2016. Find out more at ...
www.watersafety.nsw.gov.au/rockfishing

See More
Image may contain: sky, ocean, outdoor, nature, water and one or more people

• 3 weeks later...

May i start by saying i am not speaking on any case in particular and believe that any death is a tragedy and as a community of fishermen brought together by a common passion we should endeavour to prevent any deaths in our community. 

I'm quite disappointed in this new law. If the surf is small enough to be safe to fish you should be competent in the conditions you are fishing in to save yourself without a lifejacket. If you aren't competent in the conditions you should be nowhere near the water. Most of the people i see fishing the rocks in my local area are wearing full rain gear which if they went in would put them entirely at the mercy of the ocean. In heavy surf conditions a lifejacket is only going to prevent you swimming under the waves and away from the ledge and be pounded on the rocks. The only upside PFD's would provide is shortening the time in which our search and rescue crews are in danger. 

Rather than mandatory PFD's, how about mandatory course to demonstrate proficiency in reading/ surviving surf conditions such as a bronze medallion. 

Sorry if i seem irritated, i see the need for some kind of legislation to protect the people from themselves but i'm tired of being ruled by laws made for people who fail to think. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, exhail said:

May i start by saying i am not speaking on any case in particular and believe that any death is a tragedy and as a community of fishermen brought together by a common passion we should endeavour to prevent any deaths in our community. 

I'm quite disappointed in this new law. If the surf is small enough to be safe to fish you should be competent in the conditions you are fishing in to save yourself without a lifejacket. If you aren't competent in the conditions you should be nowhere near the water. Most of the people i see fishing the rocks in my local area are wearing full rain gear which if they went in would put them entirely at the mercy of the ocean. In heavy surf conditions a lifejacket is only going to prevent you swimming under the waves and away from the ledge and be pounded on the rocks. The only upside PFD's would provide is shortening the time in which our search and rescue crews are in danger. 

Rather than mandatory PFD's, how about mandatory course to demonstrate proficiency in reading/ surviving surf conditions such as a bronze medallion. 

Sorry if i seem irritated, i see the need for some kind of legislation to protect the people from themselves but i'm tired of being ruled by laws made for people who fail to think. 

So much common sense in what you say.....I agree whole heartedly.