buying a new epirb

jimg1au

Hi

Need to get a new epirb don’t know what to buy I have a 4.5 quintrex  fishraider  so going out side for more than 5klm is out for me  I will mainly fish port Kembla to kiama  area .do I need to buy a gps epirb or would a std one be ok.

I have just bought this boat and slowly fitting all the safty gear as all that was in it was all out of date

Thanks

jim

I would buy the GPS version if I were in your position.

When I purchased mine it was the first week that they made them compulsory and the prices were right up there, so I went for the cheaper version which was only $500, now the price difference is small compared to the years you will have the epirb, flares work out to be more expensive over the long run than a good GPS so you might as well buy the best available.

Frank

Gday Jim definitely Gps. Remember 5km offshore can turn into 10km surprisingly fast if your drifting due to engine failure etc. I recommend getting a decent sea anchor/drouge also. Log on with marine rescue, at least you know someone will come and look for you if you don't return. Only $30 a year.

thanks for the replys i have a sea anchor and v sheet no flares or epirb yet have all the saftey gear for enclosed waters just working on the outside stuff now

i have two out of date epirbs how or were do you hand them in

jim