Which Downrigger

Sigma

Hello fellow Raiders,

My girls have decided to buy their dad a downrigger for Xmas and as this is my first one, I have a question to all you people out there who own a downrigger.

After doing some research on Scottys Downriggers, I noticed that there is a  number of sizes (lengths) in downriggers.

For example

• Scotty 1050 - 23" arm (1ft per turn retreival)
  • Scotty 1060 - 23" arm (2ft per turn retreival)
  • Scotty 1080 - 24" arm (2ft per turn retreival +locking tilt-up mount) 
  • Scotty 1085 - 30" arm (2ft per turn retreival +locking tilt-up mount)

My question is regarding the length of the arm. What is the difference and which one do I need to do the usual fishing of chasing Kings.

Is there an advantage getting the longer arm? What do most of you have/need?

Cheers

Dave

Bigger the better!- seriously have a think about your placement on the boat- but longer and stronger is better- just get rid of the wire and use 200lb braid- less "hum" and more bites, had a long chat to one of Sydneys best kingfish guides about that recently and he reckons he gets twice the bites with braid and not wire- I have the Scotty 1085 (so does the guide I mentioned ) and its great

Ive had a Scotty 1050 which was ok but the cannon stx I now have is a much better down rigger for me. The extendable arm, metric gauge and easy to use swivel base males using it a breeze http://cannondownriggers.com.au/products/manual-downrigger/uni-troll-10-stx-metric/

The first thing I did with both downriggers was to change over to heavy braid.

The extendable arms means you can extend the boom well out past the outboard, so that even in tight turns there's no chance of getting the line around the prop. I use my downrigger more for lowering a teaser of flashers and jigs bellow my boat to keep kings with us while drifting than I do livebaiting.

Jon

Edited by JonD

On 22/12/2016 at 6:02 PM, The Incredible Hull said:

Sorry to high jack, but do you guys think the hum of the standard wire affects the bite rate?

I'm yet to change over to braid too.

I found sharks seemed to be more attracted by the humb which is why I went over to braid. 

Guest Guest123456789
On 22/12/2016 at 5:00 PM, JonD said:

Ive had a Scotty 1050 which was ok but the cannon stx I now have is a much better down rigger for me. The extendable arm, metric gauge and easy to use swivel base males using it a breeze http://cannondownriggers.com.au/products/manual-downrigger/uni-troll-10-stx-metric/

The first thing I did with both downriggers was to change over to heavy braid.

The extendable arms means you can extend the boom well out past the outboard, so that even in tight turns there's no chance of getting the line around the prop. I use my downrigger more for lowering a teaser of flashers and jigs bellow my boat to keep kings with us while drifting than I do livebaiting.

Jon

Now that's a clever tactic!!! Thanks for sharing.