Striped tuna on slow jig

Chaohuang

Went out to the reefs today and found some good patches of fish on the sounder but the current was very strong, it was very hard to slow jig in such conditions with the line being at a very large angle. After lots of hard work, only managed a few small longfin perch. Luckily this stripey nailed my jig on the fall and saved me from a doughnut. Will probably focus more on landbased for now...

P1050002.JPG

Edited by mshuangchao

On 1/6/2017 at 9:15 PM, BrassRoots said:

Haha! I was just re-watching some of your vids. Good to see the old slow just still killing it. You going to be hitting up the eastern suburbs?

Yeah, every now and then, probably going to head south and try my luck soon.

Ask the skipper to motor with the current whilst jigging, helps keep the jig vertical.

The stripy was a decent consolation prize. They go hard on light gear. Give the Port Kembla area a go Chao, I reckon you will do well round there.

2 hours ago, Raymondo said:

Ask the skipper to motor with the current whilst jigging, helps keep the jig vertical.

The stripy was a decent consolation prize. They go hard on light gear. Give the Port Kembla area a go Chao, I reckon you will do well round there.

Yeah, we took turns backing the boat, but the fish weren't on the bite, maybe too strong a current puts them off... No run no fun, Too much run also no fun...

I hooked the stripey on the drop, around 30 meters. I had it on the surface within half a minute, but it was still very strong at the side of the boat. It took a minute or two to gradually wear it down and finally the net man can go for it.

I hear Port Kembla is a good place to spin, thanks for the tip. Might give it a try, as well as Kiama, though it's a bit of a drive down there.