HELP WITH FISHING AND CRABBING AT KINCHELA

bessell1955

i am going to stay with a mate at his place at Kinchela, near Kempsy, on the McLeay River.  He is not a fisherman, but has informed me that there a blue swimmers and other fish being caught .  I have never fished there and I was hoping that some fellow Fishradiers may imbibe me with their knowledge.  Such as baits and past experiences.  Thank you in advance.:)

Should be plenty of flathead around on bait and plastics, ive never crabbed there but im guessing any likely areas like you would on most other waterways would be a good start point.

goodluck and let us know how you go!

We just got back from Stuart's Point which is on an arm of the Macleay further downstream. Fish were scarce but we got plenty of muddies, so I would stick to mud crab traps not witches hats if it were me. We also got blue swimmers in the traps but let them go as we got more than enough muddies for us.

Not sure about the crabs but i know under the kinchela bridge facing the pillion on the right side corner and there is a foam floaty there, cast in between that for decent bream. Pulled 7 keepers from there in a couple hours one night

If u cast a live herring or sp at the mouth ive heard people get jewys, never seen it but a lot of people have confirmed.

If u have the time try the creek at hat head, nice bream and flatty there too

22 minutes ago, Anthonystrati said:

Not sure about the crabs but i know under the kinchela bridge facing the pillion on the right side corner and there is a foam floaty there, cast in between that for decent bream. Pulled 7 keepers from there in a couple hours one night

If u cast a live herring or sp at the mouth ive heard people get jewys, never seen it but a lot of people have confirmed.

If u have the time try the creek at hat head, nice bream and flatty there too

Can 100% confirm the lake at Hat head produces fish (or at least used to! Haven't been there in a few years).

6 minutes ago, Wellzy94 said:

Can 100% confirm the lake at Hat head produces fish (or at least used to! Haven't been there in a few years).

I go up every year, i love the place. Just need to find good spots. Some of the locals well tell you where to go, even try to point at hat head. Its a bit walk but have seen people get cobia, big bream and drummers, kingys and all types from there 

Just a long walk and need to have a ton of gear

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I went I tried and I failed.  Not one keeper, not one.  The crabbing was even worse, the bait was not even touched.  I spoke to one of the professionals and stated that it has been a very slow year.  I spoke to a number of locals and they also stated that it was just not firing.  Well I will return in the next school holidays as I stay with a mate at Kinchela.;)