Possible stolen trailer?

robertye112

I'm looking to help a friend buy a boat and trailer package from interstate and the trailer has a 4 digit number welded onto the chassy. I always thought this number was meant to be the same last 4 numbers on the VIN. In this case, it is not. Does that mean it's stolen and has been re birthed? How can I prove that the compliance plate and rego is for that trailer if these numbers don't match?

4 hours ago, robertye112 said:

I'm looking to help a friend buy a boat and trailer package from interstate and the trailer has a 4 digit number welded onto the chassy. I always thought this number was meant to be the same last 4 numbers on the VIN. In this case, it is not. Does that mean it's stolen and has been re birthed? How can I prove that the compliance plate and rego is for that trailer if these numbers don't match?

Did you have a chat to Rms?If not give them a call with the vin and 4 digits and they should be able to tell you when that trailer was last registered and if those numbers are legit.

Otherwise if in doubt walk away and find something else.

Out of Curiosity, what did you end up doing? did you try to look into it further or are you looking at other boats?

I had a similar issue with my old boat that I rebuilt the trailer on, I moved up to qld for a year and took the boat with me got it registered up there no dramas but when coming back to NSW it was a nightmare to get it re-registered and mind you the trailer was originally registered in NSW it was just hard to read the vin on the trailer the mechanic that done the blueslip would not pass it, I basically ended up having to take it to the Vehicle Identification station in Penrith to prove that I owned the trailer and after they were satisfied they issued me with a new vin, it then had to be re-stamped, then a blueslip was issued it was a pain in the behind and very time consuming and I wouldn't wish it on anyone!!

Regards,

Nathan

Edited by beginner