Having difficult time targeting landbased kings :(

lsdjy3

I fish every summer and land some decent kings off the rock ledges around North Head (unfortunately one of the spots have been fenced off)

But this year I am yet to even hook one. Been using livies, mostly squid and throwing poppers and stickbaits at sunrise AND sunset (skipping work).

Also tried inside the Harbour around Manly with no takes.

Only 1 salmon caught from the last 10 sessions! Will I see some action soon?

Going tomorrow arvo again to spin.

T_T

Hey mate,

i hooked two kings and landed one a few weeks ago in double bay on live squid. I have been again to the same spot twice since and nothing. I really think that you have to be in the right place at the right time with the right bait. 

Noldty

10 minutes ago, Noldty said:

Hey mate,

i hooked two kings and landed one a few weeks ago in double bay on live squid. I have been again to the same spot twice since and nothing. I really think that you have to be in the right place at the right time with the right bait. 

Noldty

Great job on landing the king! How big did it measure?

I understand that kings travel but just feels like there are lot less of them around this season.

I did 10+ all nighters catching squid and yakkas to result in just 1 salmon :(

Hopefully it gets better!

39 minutes ago, lsdjy3 said:

I understand that kings travel but just feels like there are lot less of them around this season.

It was 72cm. I'm hopefully heading out this weekend so hopefully there are some around 

Noldty 

compared to this time last year, yes, the fishing on the kingy front i've found abnormally slow as well. only managed 3 plus a few bust offs over countless sessions. an abundance of tailor and jewfish are somewhat of a consolation, but it certainly is a little disheartening putting in all the hours to see unjust reward. I have a feeling that once the bonnies/frigates/mac tunas (which also seem late this year) start firing, the kings will be a little easier to entice. fingers crossed eh? just have to keep on keeping on, and i'm sure the stars will eventually align.

M.

16 hours ago, lsdjy3 said:

I agree. This season my usual haunts have been very slow with the bait and the pelagics.

That said, I have heard of a few landed around Balmain and Middle Harbour and have seen kings cruising on occasion.

I haven't even landed a salmon this season, consider yourself lucky! :)

19 hours ago, Krispy ! said:

Plenty of kings around mate theyre chomping up whitebait so maybe if you downsize your livebait/ lures it might change your luck :) 

I fish landbased and haven't seen much surface action for me to try out smaller lures. I'll give it a try anyways thanks for the advice!

5 hours ago, intern1 said:

Pier 2 has seen alot of action

Has it?

I've been past a couple of times and haven't seen much caught. There have been a couple of nice pics up on FB however of 5kg+ kings caught, just not when I was there!

I'm always a bit wary of fishing for the big stuff there as I wonder what I'll do to land it. I guess a gaff is what you'd need here!