Fish Finding pre-technology

GordoRetired

I thought that maybe some of the younger fisho's here might find this interesting.

I was clearing out a storage area earlier and came across an old fishing marks book. Unlike today back then it was all about 'lining up the tree on the point with the block of flats' and 'the water tower with the bridge' or other such descriptions of how you could tell that you were on a known mark.

How times have changed, I sometime think that we are very spoiled with the wonderful technology available to us today. Almost makes it too easy to get to the fish, not that I am complaining..:D

Happy fishing Folks.

PS sorry about the sideays pictures, could not figure out how to put them in the correct way up.

M1.JPGM2.JPGM3.JPG

Edited by GordoRetired
typo

If you lined up the harbour entrance, church steeple and bass point you were sitting over church grounds reef shellharbour. Bringing back some memories now. Remember the old paper and ink printer style finders? , my mates Oldman had one. There were definitely more fish about years ago, didn't have to look as hard.

Screenshot_2017-02-03-23-30-13.png

19 hours ago, Wellzy94 said:

Back in the day the trick was how to find the fish, nowadays it's working out how to stir them enough to take the baits!

So true. With GPS you can get right on the mark, with the sounders you can see exactly what's down there.... But actually catching them can be hard some days.. :D

18 hours ago, Raymondo said:

If you lined up the harbour entrance, church steeple and bass point you were sitting over church grounds reef shellharbour. Bringing back some memories now. Remember the old paper and ink printer style finders? , my mates Oldman had one. There were definitely more fish about years ago, didn't have to look as hard.

Screenshot_2017-02-03-23-30-13.png

I remember talking to an old fisho 20 years ago. He lived near Manly and would ask his wife what species she wanted for dionner, then late afternoon head to the rocks for an hour and catch it... Not so aeasy now.

13 hours ago, noelm said:

your Church ground marks were close, but not right, the Church was lined up on the drop on Cowrie Island, and not Bass Point, because you are well inside the Point, I used the water tanks at Berkely and a spot on Windang Island for my North mark.

Where were you 20 years ago, lol. Don't fish those grounds anymore , motor straight over the top heading out wide. Will have to check the old way with the gps marks on plotter to see how far off I was. 

6 hours ago, noelm said:

Strangely enough, for all my close in spots, I still use land marks, places like the Church Ground, Windang snapper spots, One Tree and so on, that I know back wards and front wards, I don't even turn the GPS (or sounder) on...

I love that , can't buy that sort of experience. Unfortunately for most of us younger models it's knowledge that we will never posess.