Newby to freshwater fishing

marks1984

Hey all,

I have posted a topic on the general fishing section already. moving to Bligh Park shortly we will be about 10 mins to Windsor boat ramp.

I have fished saltwater my whole life so fresh water fishing I have no idea about lol so any pointers would be great.

I have a 702 catana rod with a 3000 symetre reel with 12 pound cast away braid I would assume that the line is too heavy for bass and other fresh water fish.

I would much rather use lures than bait, but taking the misses with me I would have to use bait from time to time.

can anyone please let us know what is a good all round bait and type of lures to use.

thanks

your gear should be fine for bass

as far as bait goes garden worms are the best all round

here are some of the lures I use but anything with a decent swim action generally the wider the better and I have caught plenty of fish on the cheaper options (my 47.5cm pb was caught on a $5 austackle) its about finding the right lure to fit your style

lures: expensive options >$15, "cultiva mirashad", taylor made "nippy nymph", strikepro bass x  ecogear sx40 and sx48, arbogast jitterbug

cheaper: kokoda bat, rapala UL crank, austackle sakana XD34, halco RMG

most grub style soft plastics and small spinnerbaits (I personally don't use them)

hope this helps

Dave

Hi Marks,

The most common fish in the wider areas of the Nepean River (Not sure about moving into the brackish part of the Hawkes in Windsor) are Mullet, Bass and Carp. Lures are the go-to for bass as Dirvin said, and worms make a good bait. However when I baitfish freshwater, I'm usually targeting mullet so I'll use bread, or I'll make dough and tease cotton balls through it so it holds together a bit better. Corn kernels are also a good bait for carp and freshwater catfish. Use as small a sinker as possible (or even weightless!), and I like floats for mullet.

Cheers,

Wellzy

1 minute ago, Rah said:

Garden worms are a great bass bait. Often dig some up with the kids and chuck them  out. They don't hit the bottom before getting smashed by bass

I must be in the wrong spots then, my worms always get sniped by pesky eels...

Just now, Wellzy94 said:

I must be in the wrong spots then, my worms always get sniped by pesky eels...

Only a few resident eels where I usually fish for bass. Scare the absolute s#^$ out of you when they swim right up by the yak. 

Often when I've seen an eel hanging in a certain area I'll get zero hits from bass. Territorial perhaps.