Fishing gear on the web

Shane123

Hey guys.

Was just wondering if anyone buys gear from overseas tackle stores and gets it shipped here.

I've done it for my other hobbies and saved alot but I'm not aware of fishing stores in the US that ship here (or if its financially viable)

Does anyone buy from OS ?

Cheers

Sure, I buy regularly from OS particularly e bay (there is a number of US an European sellers there) and not just for fishing. Saved me a lot, so I can support local NSW farmers on weekend markets on the saved money. I believe you can also buy Australian brands from overseas as well - it is not only could be several times cheaper in than local big chains stores, but you will also support Australian export. I cannot comment much on JDM products from OS - I do not need $500 rig to be able to catch 25cm whiting on worms or flathead on soft plastic. However,  this is my preference and  my choice. 

Its an interesting one- Ive always tried to support the local guys and one of my mates owns a tackle store. I went to him the other day about a couple of bits for my Scotty downrigger and am also looking at a second one. He basically told me to order it from the states as he makes 20-30 dollars on a 150 sale and about 100 on a 650 sale from the local distributor of Scotty. The same items retail (after conversion) for about 2/3 of the Aussie price. I also happened to find out another mate was going to the US for a conference this week and was staying not far from a BAss Pro shop- so I contacted them to see if they stock the items I was after at that store- Nope- the items concerned are shipped direct from Scotty and they wont ship Scotty stuff to anywhere outside of the USA. Back to square one at this point. While I was looking at the Basspro website though- other than a few things the prices didnt seem to be any lower than here- so I guess you can just keep your eye out and make sure you are not ripped off.

6 hours ago, Shane123 said:

Hey guys.

Was just wondering if anyone buys gear from overseas tackle stores and gets it shipped here.

I've done it for my other hobbies and saved alot but I'm not aware of fishing stores in the US that ship here (or if its financially viable)

Does anyone buy from OS ?

Cheers

PM sent

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest123456789

The only stuff I don't buy from the local tackle store is stuff you can get from places like Bunnings, Clark rubber, eckersleys, Kmart, Coles, the local seafood place, super cheap auto etc. I just check the local tackle store and if it seems overpriced I look online, sometimes it's worthwhile shipping it in but not often after you factor in the shipping delay and freight. It's a lot of fun shopping in a tackle store!

Depends on the exchange rate. When there was parity with the US dollar, I bought a heap of stuff including power pro braid. Everything ended up being half price even when you consider the postage costs. I buy a lot of stuff online from local stores, it seems to be a better way to get what youwant. Often the physical shop doesn't have the lure type or colour that you are after etc.

Matt

Guest Guest123456789
On 29/03/2017 at 1:44 PM, macman said:

Depends on the exchange rate. When there was parity with the US dollar, I bought a heap of stuff including power pro braid. Everything ended up being half price even when you consider the postage costs. I buy a lot of stuff online from local stores, it seems to be a better way to get what youwant. Often the physical shop doesn't have the lure type or colour that you are after etc.

Matt

Second that!!! Always out of the 5 inch z man jerk shad white, size 6 black magic hooks (luderick) 20lbs daiwa jbraid 125 metres, all the pink colour good squid jigs, Spanyid Raiders 30 or 40 gram in red and white. 

Super frustrating at times. A I like to shop Thursday lunch time, seems like the gear is on the shelves for the weekend and everyone hasn't pillaged all the good stuff.

50 minutes ago, noelm said:

The big reason "stuff" is available via the web is really quite simple, the faceless store does not carry stock, you order it, they order it there and then, you wait for delivery, no different to going to a shop, and the guy says " it will be here in a few days" you get the shits and leave, but you are quite happy to wait for a few days delivery....the more we shop electronically , the more chance it will be the only option, as all the "family" owned shops simply close from lack of customers. One thing that does get me boiling is when people buy offshore, and then front the local guy to sort out issues, or go to the local, get all the info and glossy brochures, then buy online over seas.

Agree Noel- online will give SFA advice either when a shop arrives properly its only going to get worse for the poor little guy

19 hours ago, noelm said:

The big reason "stuff" is available via the web is really quite simple, the faceless store does not carry stock, you order it, they order it there and then, you wait for delivery, no different to going to a shop, and the guy says " it will be here in a few days" you get the shits and leave, but you are quite happy to wait for a few days delivery....the more we shop electronically , the more chance it will be the only option, as all the "family" owned shops simply close from lack of customers. One thing that does get me boiling is when people buy offshore, and then front the local guy to sort out issues, or go to the local, get all the info and glossy brochures, then buy online over seas.

That's not true, I buy online from one of the big local suppliers that does boating camping and fishing stuff. I order 10 lures in the colours I want from the online store on a tuesday morning. I have them delivered on thursday to my door. The reason I get them in the colours I want is that they DO have them in stock in their warehouse and they have the buying power to be able to support that model. Agree that this isn't helping the local, small stores. But, I haven't had a local small store for years where I live. If I did I'd probably do it differently as I used to.

Matt

Guest Guest123456789
20 hours ago, noelm said:

Sounds like an opportunity for a VIP customer service offering. Buy the gear minus what isn't in stock then the store delivers it to you a few days later.