Beach and Rock Lure Spinning / Jigging

JimmyD

Hi guys,

I'm new to this site, only just joined up. However, I have always come to Fishraider for hints and tips. I've learnt a fair bit from browsing around these forums.

I am hoping to build on my very basic fishing skills and really start to take it seriously. I've got a little 20 month old boy and I really want to be able to show him how to fish well when he's a bit older. I've done a fair bit of fishing in Brisbane Waters, on mates boats and occasionally taken a big beach rod out, but thats about it. 

Anyway, I am looking to try my hand at beach / rock lure spinning / jigging. My target species would be taylor, bonito, big flatties (haven't caught any from the beach before) and I would optimistically chuck in kingies and jewies. In saying that, I'll take pretty much anything thats good fun and a nice table fish to boot. 

I've been looking online and all my local fishing tackle stores (the small independents and the big ones). The real light weight rods are what I'm after, but I want it to be strong enough to drag in a big one (in the off chance I am that lucky).

So far I've seen:

9' Samaki Zing Gen 2

9'6 Daiwa Lateo (4-8kg line rated)

10'7 Daiwa Seajigger (6-9kg) 

10'6 Daiwa Seabass (5-9kg)

The lures I would be using would be a combination of hard bodies and metals, depending upon what's running. 

I live on the central coast of NSW so all the beaches and rocks around here would be fair game

Am I on the right track with these rods? What would be a good all-rounder, light-weight, strong rod? Once I've got the rod, I'll happily take suggestions on matching it to the most suitable reel. I've got a little bit of coin tucked away that the minister of finance doesn't know about, so I am a little flexible when it comes to price range.

You guys are the pros and I was hoping to get pointed in the right direction. Any help would be really appreciated.  

Thanks in advance

14 minutes ago, nickb111 said:

How would you go about landing fish? The lateo would be great for target species with metals and hardbodies but the tip is quite light so it could snap if you tried to drag a 2kg + fish up the rocks

Hey Nick,

Ive got a mate with a big 3 piece gaff that I can borrow if I need to. He hardly ever uses it. 

Ive watched a few youtube vids of guys using them to catch kingies off the rocks and they seemed to hold up fairly well. Hard to tell from videos though, seems as though everyone's trying to sell you something on there. 

What reel would you suggest to match with the lateo?

Cheers mate

pretty hard to gaff a fish less than 5 kgs of the rocks, even harder by yourself, get an old fashioned FSU4120, they are light, tough and cheap and have a lot of grunt for lifting- spun with one for over 30 years. The throw lures from 40 gms to 100 without any problems, can double up as a drummer rod, chuck pillies off the beache etc etc.  

G'day jimmy

Gotta agree with paddy. Hard to go past the old fsu4120. I used to use one, good tough rod although maybe a little heavy for salmon, tailor etc. These days i use a 10'6 Daiwa shorejigger 20-30lb. Sounds heavy but quite light in the tip and will cast even light metals miles. I've caught everthing from bream off the beach to big kings off the rocks. Even live baited with it with 50 through it off breakwalls. Massive grey nurse. Oops. The downside is that like all lightweight casting rods its fragile and needs a bit more care when putting down on the rocks. I know it'll explode one day. Good luck mate. Maybe get both.

Matt

Thanks for that Paddy and Matt. I'll def have to check that fsu4120 out. I'll see if I can find it in a shop somewhere to get a feel of it so I can compare to the sea jigger.

Good point about dragging one up a rock face by myself with the gaff...

What reels would you suggest for the fsu4120 and the sea jigger?

Thanks again

Guest Guest123456789

I've spun with an 8000 reel before, I fatigued pretty quickly and the retrieve rate was too low for my taste. Penn spinfisher.

Thank you Paddy, Luke and Matt. I'll check all those out. Hopefully I can get to the shops either Thursday or Friday. Keen to get it all set up so I can get out there while there's still some warm water around!

A little twist of fate. My grandfather gave me a couple of his old rods / reels recently as he doesn't use them anymore. I hadn't really looked at them. Just double checked one of the boxes. Turns out one is a Penn 650 SS Spinfisher!! Guess thats going on the new rod when it arrives (at least to get me up and running).

Its still in the original box with the manufacture date stamped on it (September 27 1989) and the owners manual inside. Its been used but all in great nick. Made in the USA too...

Iv got a 12ft penn prevail 10-12kg with a diawa saltist 4500 I use it to spin of the rocks it's great rod really light with enough grunt for decent sized kings I would defiantly considering getting that combo mate can be used for bait also 

Edited by geshy

On 05/03/2017 at 9:47 PM, JimmyD said:

Hey Nick,

Ive got a mate with a big 3 piece gaff that I can borrow if I need to. He hardly ever uses it. 

Ive watched a few youtube vids of guys using them to catch kingies off the rocks and they seemed to hold up fairly well. Hard to tell from videos though, seems as though everyone's trying to sell you something on there. 

What reel would you suggest to match with the lateo?

Cheers mate

I matched it with a Daiwa Morethan 3012H. It did a good job, however try balancing your reels on a rod in a shop to see what fits best. Neither a daiwa 3000 nor the rod will be able to take on big kings however.

11ft Diawa crossfire matched with a Pflueger Salt 5000 or 6000 is light enough to cast for hours & will stop anything. I've poled 6kg jew straight up a breakwall without a gaff no problems. I love this combo.

Guest Guest123456789
12 hours ago, Jewhunter said:

11ft Diawa crossfire matched with a Pflueger Salt 5000 or 6000 is light enough to cast for hours & will stop anything. I've poled 6kg jew straight up a breakwall without a gaff no problems. I love this combo.

+1. Epic set up, will last ages if you look after it and won't break the bank.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jewhunter,

Are you referring to the 10'6 3-5kg Crossfire?

Just wondering how this would go as a bait rod too e.g to cast #2 or #3 star sinkers + ganged pillies off the beach.

Undy

G'day Undy.

I've actually got the 11ft rod & it's rated to 10-20kg! I run 40lb braid on the Salt 6000 on it & use it to spin for jew off breakwalls up here. It casts big plastics a mile.

I'm not sure how they got that rating as it feels light & flexes way too much for a rod of that supposed line class. For mine it feels more like an 8-10kg rod. Maybe I'm not pushing it hard enough....

I'll have to check out the 3-5kg rod. It sounds like it would cast metals & pillies really well if matched with 15-20lb braid, & would be a good all rounder.

I own three spinfishers and they have caught that many fish its not funny...they are strong.reliable .smooth drags.and yours being an old model they are the best...mine get used for everything from beach to rock spinning and floaters for snapper..rick

Hi Jewhunter,

I can't seem to locate an 11' 10-20kg model. Maybe they aren't made anymore.

There is a 12' 7-15kg model and a lighter 12' 3-6kg model.

When you say your rod casts big plastics a mile, are you talking about plastics such as 11" Slapstix and Jerk Shads and the like? What size jigheads do you have on these to launch them a long way?

Sounds ideal to me as I would like to flick plastics and also baitfish in the surf with this rod.

Could be that the 12' 7-15kg may be just right for my needs.

Sorry mate, my bad! It's the 11ft, 10-20kg Diawa CrossCast! Not the Crossfire.

That crossfire sounds like a nice rod & should just about handle anything you come across.

I cast 1.5 oz blades, 130mm squidgy fish on 1-1.5oz jigheads & 7/8oz berkley swim shads with it. I can go bigger & heavier if I want to.

I used to fish a 7500 spinfisher ssv on it. Great reel & bullet proof, but I can get a bit more drag out of the Salt & it comes in 250gms lighter, which I find a better balance for the rod.

Sorry for the bum steer!

Hi Jewhunter,

No worries at all, all these names can get rather confusing. I did see your Crosscast rod as part of a Daiwa combo. Certainly feels whippy for a 10-20kg rod! Still can't seem to locate one sold as rod only. 

Thanks,

Undy