Rain Rain Rain and Pirtek Fishing Challenge

cameldownunder

Hi

Like many I've enrolled in the Pirtek Fishing Challenge,

It seems that the weather is going to be lousy the whole week before, and maybe even on the day.

With the water not looking too clear, and likely the offshore bumpy, what is the best strategy to use?

For me it's going to be a day out on the boat, but would be nice to take home *ANY* fish at the end of the day.

What are the chances to catch Yakkas in these conditions? Normally I wait 3-4 days for the water to clear after rainfalls.

Or should I take the boat to the blue mountains and fish for trouts ( the weather would be perfect for that )

Thanks

Flathead are usually one of the target species, I would be getting some poddy mullet and a bunch of soft plastics and targetting the lower parts of the estuaries, North Harbour, Balmoral etc. Maybe even fish Hawkesbury with skirt steak :)

Matt

Last year's pirtek challenge was wet in sydney but there wasn't the amount of rain leading up to it as we have seen this year. Personally I am planning on catching some squid and drifting around flint and steel for flathead but I am thinking it could easily end in doughnuts.

At the end of the day just remember it is for a good cause.

3 hours ago, Squid Inc said:

Last year's pirtek challenge was wet in sydney but there wasn't the amount of rain leading up to it as we have seen this year. Personally I am planning on catching some squid and drifting around flint and steel for flathead but I am thinking it could easily end in doughnuts.

At the end of the day just remember it is for a good cause.

That is a very good attitude and good luck to you Squid Inc

With a forecast of almost 2 meter swell, I am NOT going past grotto point. Southerly wind does not leave much protected areas. Maybe I'll drift for flatheads ( apparently THE fish to go for with this weather ) in front of Balmoral beach.

Am I correct in the assumption that all this rain has pushed the fish closer to the heads?

I treat it as an option. I paid for it, and that is for the good cause.

If the weather is too adverse, I'll stay in the warm and dry, and dont do anything stupid. That's also a good cause.

Hi guys, 

This fresh will make inside the mouths of the estuaries hard work. Not even the pros will bother. You're probably better off fishing over the mountains. Definitely don't bother heading south, I'm looking at crookhaven heads now and it's pea soup.

Good luck

Matt

Got up late as i was in no hurry. Decided to give it a go. It was officially my day fishing after all. At Roseville Ramp 3 trailers, not a good Omen. I setup storm cover and made my way to the harbour. At Grotto Point I decided it was not so bad, and crossed over to Quarantine. To wavey so another cross back. Big waves. Decided to anchor opposite Chinaman's beach. Few reds and a decent Red Rock Cod. Then I felt something heavier, only occasionally shaking the head. I knew it was a flathead, question now was how big. I don't know what was bigger, my smile or the flathead. Pulled it in and put on the PFC matt. Nice 50 cm. No monster but 2 solid filets. Not much after that. Decided to pack it in at 3:30 pm.