Outboard service intervals

JonD

How often do you service your engine and do you stick to the manufacturers recomomendation.

Ive always stuck religiously to having 100 hr services, which seem to come round quite quickly since opting over to the rib (400hrs in 17 months).

Having just checked my service book I noticed the intervals go from 20hrs to 100hrs then 300 and 500, so every 200hrs not 100. This seems like a lot of hours or sea miles between services and wondered if anyone else does the 200hr ones. Are all 4 strokes 200 hrs or just Yamaha. http://yamahaoutboards.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/2009_Maintenance_Charts.pdf

The mobile mechanic I use is very reasonable so I will stick to the 100hr ones for now.

Jon

1 hour ago, JonD said:

How often do you service your engine and do you stick to the manufacturers recomomendation.

Ive always stuck religiously to having 100 hr services, which seem to come round quite quickly since opting over to the rib (400hrs in 17 months).

Having just checked my service book I noticed the intervals go from 20hrs to 100hrs then 300 and 500, so every 200hrs not 100. This seems like a lot of hours or sea miles between services and wondered if anyone else does the 200hr ones. Are all 4 strokes 200 hrs or just Yamaha. http://yamahaoutboards.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/2009_Maintenance_Charts.pdf

The mobile mechanic I use is very reasonable so I will stick to the 100hr ones for now.

Jon

Normally when people ask this question they are hoping for a answer to save them money.My best answer I can give you is learn to do it or part of it yourself.

People are afraid of new technology but at the end of the day the internal combustion engine hasn't changed much in over a century other than being more orientated around electronic complimentary while the internals pretty much remain the same.

I like how people use the term "tune up" when discussing modern cars or the term "panel beaters" both when out the door a long time ago.

To me a tune up involves changing points,adjusting carburrretors,valve clearances etc.

Not doing air,filter and oil changes and pulling a few codes etc.

But yes to keep all parties happy(Read your wallet lighter) and keep any warranties valid it's best to get it done at the recommended intervals.

I know this doesn't help much but it really isn't that hard.

I don't know everything but I reckon 90% of what I have learned in my life is by doing the reasearch and putting in the time and effort to hone my skills.

Id be interested to hear what others think also.

Cheers.

I have a 50HP Tohatsu 2 Stroke, 2007 model, have had 2 only 300 hour services they replace the impellas and plugs, so I keep an eye on the tell tail on the motor replace the plugs every 2 years, spray the engine and all moving parts with lanox, I previously used inox but it did not do the rubbers any good, pull the prop off and grease the shaf at least once a yeart, spray the trailer after use, and always use salt off or a similar product to flush the engine, wipe grease on links in the engine, grease the nipples at least once a year and as I do not take it out as much as I should, I pretty well spray everything after fishing but if I am going out the next day, a engine flush will do. You can spend heaps on servicing but if you have a reputable brand common sense should prevail.

Far out man! 

Thats alot of hrs in such a short time!

my hrs are laughable to yours, think i have around 200hrs in 6 years lol, i only fish harbours and estuaries and only use main engine to to and from spots then shut it down and use minn kota (i would like to know how many hrs it has actually) i bet its over 1000!

anyway to your original point cant help too much as i run injected 2stroke but manufacturer says service every 300hrs, even though i havent got that many hrs to this day shes still been serviced a few times.

300hrs seems alot to me even with 2 stroke.

23 minutes ago, Hooked-Up said:

Far out man! 

Thats alot of hrs in such a short time!

my hrs are laughable to yours, think i have around 200hrs in 6 years lol, i only fish harbours and estuaries and only use main engine to to and from spots then shut it down and use minn kota (i would like to know how many hrs it has actually) i bet its over 1000!

anyway to your original point cant help too much as i run injected 2stroke but manufacturer says service every 300hrs, even though i havent got that many hrs to this day shes still been serviced a few times.

300hrs seems alot to me even with 2 stroke.

On the link I provided it states 2 strokes as every 100hrs not 200hrs like the 4 stroke. 

Ive owned many 4 strokes and always serviced them at 100hrs and just wondered why they recommend every 200 on the Yam, my Suzuki 4 stroke was every 100hrs.

Hi Jon, I take my F100 to the local Yammie guy who has an excellent reputation- he does a minor service every 100hrs and a major every 200- I'm up to 560 hrs over 5 years but the last 18 months ive only done about 30 hrs so I guess thats fine.