Knot for Metal Lure

youngfisher10

Hi guys,

I was interested in what knots people use for metal spinning lures, as I was using a 10g metal lure to a 10lb leader on a Palomar knot, and it just came off after quite a number of casts. Any tips will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I use a uni knot most of the time but with light lines I put the line through the loop on the lure twice before tying the knot. Be gentle tightening the knot and use a little spit to stop the friction heating the line as you pull it tight.

Theres so much stretch in the lighter lines I find it extremely rare to break off a lure but commonly get bitten off by tailor.

Edited by JonD

2 hours ago, youngfisher10 said:

Hi guys,

I was interested in what knots people use for metal spinning lures, as I was using a 10g metal lure to a 10lb leader on a Palomar knot, and it just came off after quite a number of casts. Any tips will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Make sure you have a split ring on there and tie to that. I use a blood knot with 2 turns around the ring first up, then 4 turns. 

2 hours ago, Great_White said:

@youngfisher10

See if you can attach a small rolling swivel to the front of your lure, and just use a locked blood knot.

Hope this helps out

Great_White

2 hours ago, JonD said:

I use a uni knot most of the time but with light lines I put the line through the loop on the lure twice before tying the knot. Be gentle tightening the knot and use a little spit to stop the friction heating the line as you pull it tight.

Theres so much stretch in the lighter lines I find it extremely rare to break off a lure but commonly get bitten off by tailor.

1 hour ago, marks1984 said:

I use the rapala knot

16 minutes ago, Roylo said:

Make sure you have a split ring on there and tie to that. I use a blood knot with 2 turns around the ring first up, then 4 turns. 

I was throwing a 10g Gillies Pilchard Metal lure using a palomar knot, and it just flew off :(

Guest Guest123456789

use the uni knot 4 turns but double the line. 10lbs line with a doubled uni knot an the lure is stronger than 20lbs line with a single uni knot at the lure IMO.

anyone who works in the tackle industry will disagree with me here and I don't blame them, I go through a whole lot less lures since I've been doubling the line.

Edited by Guest123456789
typo

What ever knot you use, I never tie directly onto a split ring as the edges are sometimes capable of cutting the line.  I mostly use a Uni knot on a swivel with clip when using metal slices.  You can also attach a swivel or solid ring to a split ring and tie onto that.  Ron

Hey mate. As the others have said, a small swivel will sort out line twist, allow the lure to work with the best action and give a smooth surface for your line, no sharp edges from the split ring. A well tied locked blood knot well lubed and carefully tightened should be near bulletin proof for most situations. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest123456789

@youngfisher10 this outfit caught a 3kg Mac tuna off the rocks this morning. 10lbs line, 4000 reel, 20 gram lure. Fish took me all the way to the backing mono. Had the drag all the way up, measured it at home at just over 4kgs. The doubled uni knot is the way to go ? 

As @Flickn Mad suggested a swivel attached to the split ring is not only good for line twist often the movement of the lure is greatly improved and looks more realistic.

IMG_1714.JPG

Hi mate, just thought I'd add to al the good tips previous, I spent a lot of time throwing lures around for Barra in the NT and always tied the "lefty's loop" and never once lost the lure due to it working it's way off, mind you the lightest leaders we used were 30lb, as mentioned using 10lb I'd go the swivel/clip , but try some nice supple 20lb mono , longer leader  ,you'll cast further and land a bigger fish when it comes along.