Central Coast help With poddy mullet

noelguyau

Hi Guys, Just after a bit of help when it comes to poddy mullet. Im new to this, and want to take some out on friday.  Im in the Gosford area and was hoping that someone could steer me n the right direction as to where to start. thanks in advance.

Noel

Guest Guest123456789

Hi Noel,

Good news is there are millions of them in our lagoons and they're easy to catch. In Fact I taught my wife who taught her mothers group who take all the toddlers out on occasion to catch and release them.

On a warmish sunny day you're guaranteed to catch them on the shallow shores. They shut down in the cold and rain. You can seem them quite easily. You can make a trap yourself but bear in mind it has to be legal. Or you can just buy an alvey telescopic trap from the store at Erina or probably one of the stores at west gosford.

just a few pieces of ground up bread is all you need inside the trap.

Make sure it's weighted down and out of the current or it will float away.

if it is too deep it won't work, about 1 to 6 inches below the surface is ideal.

a good spot is in front of the clan motor inn at Terrigal. It is pretty shallow at the moment as the lagoon has just been let out. If you have a yabby pump you can clean up on nippers here as well.

you can only keep 20 for bait and must release any above 15cm in length.

gun flathead baits slowly retrieved. Good luck mate!