Alvey reel/rod?

Mr_clownface

Hi there 

I have a 11ft fibreglass surf rod that has quite a low mount for the reel and I was thinking it would work better with a small alvey rather than a spinning reel,

im was wondering what the suitable measurement from reel mount to the first guide to be ok for alvey casting (my rod is 115cm mount-guide)

it has a nice soft medium action for surf casting.

i was doing some evening beach fishing and my sand spike fell over and drowned my Okuma spinning reel and the bearings have sand in them,I found a tackle store that can have it repaired but it's not cheap,hence why I think it's a good idea to get into Alvey reels

also what model Avey(not expensive) has a functional drag for light/medium surf fishing.

any assistance is appreciated 

Edited by Mr_clownface
More info

Hi Mate,

for the beach NOTHING beats an Alvey, 

You can wash the sand out of them in the surf, the weight down low on the rod balances the long rod so they are much more comfortable to hold long term, meaning you are in touch all the time and fell all the bites.  You just need the right one for your rod and line class.

Take your rod to a tackle store and fit various Alveys til you find the one that balances the rod best.

Once you have worked it out you will never use anything else off the beach.   Used properly they cast further than any other reel.

Just remember you will need to use the smallest and best quality swivels you can get for the line class to avoid line twist.

They are not expensive, considering their longevity, I am still using the Alveys I bought in the 1980s

Cheers
Chris

21 hours ago, Jewdreamer said:

Hi Mate,

for the beach NOTHING beats an Alvey, 

You can wash the sand out of them in the surf, the weight down low on the rod balances the long rod so they are much more comfortable to hold long term, meaning you are in touch all the time and fell all the bites.  You just need the right one for your rod and line class.

Take your rod to a tackle store and fit various Alveys til you find the one that balances the rod best.

Once you have worked it out you will never use anything else off the beach.   Used properly they cast further than any other reel.

Just remember you will need to use the smallest and best quality swivels you can get for the line class to avoid line twist.

They are not expensive, considering their longevity, I am still using the Alveys I bought in the 1980s

Cheers
Chris

Thanks Jewdreamer,

I will take your advice and take my rod to the store to find a suitable Alvey,i think this will save me alot of money in the long term,

i really enjoy beach fishing and i am keen to learn as much as i can.

cheers

Much appreciated

Edited by Mr_clownface
Spelling correction