Trim Tabs

sydney south

Hello All,

After having trim tabs on previous larger boats.

Just thought that I would put it out there, about trim tabs on a 5.5m trailer boat.

I am considering installing trim tabs to a Quintrex 5.5m Spirit for added comfort, ride and stability.

Anyone have any suggestions or past experience, as to what system and or brand works best for this sized boat?

I know the boat is a little on the smaller side for trim tabs, but in my mind it will be better to have the trimming ability, rather than moving occupants or contents around so to get the boat level and smooth.

Thanks in advance.

Sydney South

8 hours ago, JonD said:

I've used the self levelling trim tabs on almost every boat I've owned and highly recomend them http://bennetttrimtabs.com/self-leveling-tabs-slt/

Thanks JonD,

Yes, I have looked at these but are mainly wanting them for levelling of the boat from Port to starboard.

Do the Bennett's self level, if say we have more weight on one side to the other?

15 minutes ago, sydney south said:

Thanks JonD,

Yes, I have looked at these but are mainly wanting them for levelling of the boat from Port to starboard.

Do the Bennett's self level, if say we have more weight on one side to the other?

Each one has three settings so you can apply more or less pressure to either side. This isn't something you can adjust while on the water very easy, but you can pull into shallow calm water and hop over the side to adjust them.

If you know your boat always leans to one side you simply apply more pressure  to that side then do a test run. I found they don't just level the boat they actually make them handle like a far bigger boat.

Thanks JonD,

Sorry I should have been more clear.

What I am after is say, when you have more people in the boat and the boat is heaver on one side, say three people on the port side and one on the starboard. The boat will the lean to the port side. Do the Bennett's then compensate for this extra weight/lean to the port, so to keep the boat level.

1 hour ago, sydney south said:

Thanks JonD,

Sorry I should have been more clear.

What I am after is say, when you have more people in the boat and the boat is heaver on one side, say three people on the port side and one on the starboard. The boat will the lean to the port side. Do the Bennett's then compensate for this extra weight/lean to the port, so to keep the boat level.

They will certainly improve things but having three on one side and one the other is easier to sort out by just asking the crew to move. If due to seating you would mostly have more weight on one side you simply setup with more pressure to one side. But yes i certainly found they helped even a changing load.

The first boat I used them on was a Haines signature 540 that used to lean to one side, once these were fitted I never needed to adjust them and the boat became a dream to drive in rough conditions. I've had them on two quintrex's, a formula and now on my rib to stop the bow going to high when it gets airborne ( kids ).

Its not just the levelling but the way the boat jumps on the plain and stays there at less rpm without needing to work tab controls while pushing at speed that I like most.

A cootacraft I often drive I find such hard work with the electric tabs as these boats are so bloody fast just when you get them set right you hit a wave from a different angle that sends it sideways, Personaly I would run the self levelling ones on that.

Getting the ellectric ones right on my mates big Northbank is also difficult and you seem to be constantly checking the settings each time the boat gets stuck into a strong lean (80 km run offshore on Sunday in tough conditions ).

Edited by JonD

Would these trim tabs help an underpowered boat/motor get up on the plane and cruise at a lower rpm?  

I also have a full canopy and if the wind hits it at the right angle it can make the boat dip sharply to one side.  Would these self levelling tabs kick in if this were the case to help reduce dipping to one side?  

Might have to look into into some if so. 

40 minutes ago, Fishop said:

Would these trim tabs help an underpowered boat/motor get up on the plane and cruise at a lower rpm?  

I also have a full canopy and if the wind hits it at the right angle it can make the boat dip sharply to one side.  Would these self levelling tabs kick in if this were the case to help reduce dipping to one side?  

Might have to look into into some if so. 

They help get a boat out of the water and hold there at lower rpm

• 1 month later...

Bringing back this topic, where do you place your transducer when these are installed?  I measured mine up last night.  Preferred location is 3-4 inches from the side chine of the boat.  That means the transducer would need to be moved down toward the centreline more.  Dont want to move it too close to the centreline but dont want to have it too close to the trim tab in case of interference to the transducer.

JonD do you have any pics of how your boat is setup?

2 hours ago, Fishop said:

Bringing back this topic, where do you place your transducer when these are installed?  I measured mine up last night.  Preferred location is 3-4 inches from the side chine of the boat.  That means the transducer would need to be moved down toward the centreline more.  Dont want to move it too close to the centreline but dont want to have it too close to the trim tab in case of interference to the transducer.

JonD do you have any pics of how your boat is setup?

Because my hull angles back and is also very narrow this is as far over as my tabs could go on this boat, with my other boats Ive been able to place them further towards the outsides.

My sidescan and normal 200/50khz work fine as they are in this pic, on one boat I had the 200/50 right in front of the engine (where the sidescan is).

_DSC1977_zpswdbohwug.jpg

shot018_zpsssniao5l.jpg

15 hours ago, JonD said:

Sweet should be fine then.  As it stands my transducer would be about where you trim tab is now.  I wasnt sure how far down a transducer could go.  

Thanks!!