Would this be river weed?

frenzyfol

Hi everyone,
long time lurker.

Found in the Georges within mangroves, growing on sand.
Would this be river weed? Suitable for blackfish?
I know what cabbage and green weed look like, but I've heard of a third more elusive river weed.

It's very thin. Diameter would be sub 1 mm. Growing on sand in a tidal zone (covered during big highs)

I hope you can zoom in enough to see it.

20170506_133321 - Copy.jpg

Looks the goods to me!

Some say (and I am no blackfish expert) that the weed from river you are fishing will out fish weed collected from another river.

Hard to tell how long it is but you need say 40 - 50mm minimum length to bait a hook.

When the conditions are right and the weed is in abundance and presumably not all cropped by hungry luderick, the weed will grow very long ( say 3 feet or more).

Cabbage weed of course is used off the rocks where it grows and green weed is best up the river where it grows.

Cheers

Jim

What I've found in my blackfish journey is that there are several types of weed and they all seem to work at one or another.  From your pic, that's good weed man! :D

I'm aware of the string weed for estuary & cabbage for rocks thing, but in my experience, cabbage works as well if not better than string weed upriver as well.

52 minutes ago, Ozzybass said:

What I've found in my blackfish journey is that there are several types of weed and they all seem to work at one or another.  From your pic, that's good weed man! :D

I'm aware of the string weed for estuary & cabbage for rocks thing, but in my experience, cabbage works as well if not better than string weed upriver as well.

"good weed man" ... do I sense a little sly reference there?

LOL