Great night at the wharf

papafish

Went out for a session after dinner on monday night. armed with a block of pillies and some bread. got there around 8pm. fished with my mate, and another 3 random guys that are already there, had a little chat, with them, they said they are here to chase jewie/ bream. anyway off we go. mixed 1kg of pillies with bread. and burley as we fished.

I'm fishing with a new set up, which i dont think anyone uses it lol. and my mate where using a running sinker with 1m trace. light set up also.

my set up, a 1.8m daiwa spinning rod + ISO 0 float, no stopper, 

basically very gentle cast, 2m out and let my line slowly sink and drift down.  it has been proven very effective. I caught 6 kepper bream and 1 flatty, while my mate managed 2 small bream lol. and the other 3 guys, nothing but chopper tailor.

dont' know if it is luck, but i got to say. i kind of nailed that night lol.

im assuming the breams were hiding underneath the wharf, and my set up somehow managed to sneak into the area that are normally impossible to reach :)

anyway great night. 

IMG_5454.JPG

No stopper? I'm curious as to how that works. I imagine it'd allow your bait to just free-drift across the bottom, but the float wouldn't work as a bite indicator at all.. Wouldn't you get the same effect fishing unweighted without a float?

50 minutes ago, Wellzy94 said:

No stopper? I'm curious as to how that works. I imagine it'd allow your bait to just free-drift across the bottom, but the float wouldn't work as a bite indicator at all.. Wouldn't you get the same effect fishing unweighted without a float?

It's a similar set up them them ISO fisherman, rather then using a 5.3m rod. I'm using a smaller jigging rod. The float it's free drift. But float won't sink to bottom. But if u get a bite while the bait a drifting down. It will still but the float down. But i usually slowly let the line drift while holding it, like fly fishing to detect bite. Very effective. Different to unweighted. Because with the float. Your line are going down and not pushing side ways, without a float your line will probabaly never sink when there's currant pushing fast. Note I also have one of these tiny sinker clipped onto the line

14 minutes ago, Mr Squidy said:

Yeah, Bream love an unweighted slowly sinking bait, reckon your rig would have had it wafting down perfectly for em.

R

yeah I would say so^^

1 hour ago, Stapo said:

Great job papa. 

thx steve! Still need to learn how to catch them ludrick from ya^^. Any blue swimmer up where you are?

Papa I can 2nd this technique of a float without stopper, though it can be a little confusing until you redefine the role of the float.  I use the same technique fishing for kingfish/salmon/tailor from breakwalls with good success at times (when I can't find fish on the surface or the bottom).  In this technique, the float serves the purposes of:

A - slowing the drift/sink rate of the bait (as you can control/adjust the amount of line below the float by feeding/retracting line at the reel).  You can test different depths during the same cast by adjusting the line.

B - acting as a reliable indicator of bait location (factor in some variance for any current)

Once you find the spot in the water column where the fish are holding, you can replicate it easily & stay close to the fish, where others struggle to maintain a place in the "strike zone".  It's a great land-based technique.

I have used the same technique to fish paternoster rigs (e.g. bait jig or SPs) in mid-water from breakwalls where fish are holding around structure or over a reefy bottom.  Keep your bait/lure in the right place for longer while avoiding the snags.

Great work & well done on the catch!

Also as a side note - if we were fishing side by side on a wharf, and you'd landed 5 fish to my 0 - I wouldn't be too proud to copy your technique even if it seemed strange to me!  Whatever works on the day...

2 hours ago, papafish said:

yeah I would say so^^

thx steve! Still need to learn how to catch them ludrick from ya^^. Any blue swimmer up where you are?

Yes mate there is still a few around but not as many as before. 

5 hours ago, DaveTheBoy said:

Also as a side note - if we were fishing side by side on a wharf, and you'd landed 5 fish to my 0 - I wouldn't be too proud to copy your technique even if it seemed strange to me!  Whatever works on the day...

5 hours ago, DaveTheBoy said:

Dave theres no such thing as copying mate. we only learn from new technique, whatever works and whatever that catches fish are a good Sign. so no hard feeling copying from others mate. i do that all the time, but ofcourse i do abit of modification to suit myself:)

On 2017-5-24 at 4:44 PM, DaveTheBoy said:

Papa I can 2nd this technique of a float without stopper, though it can be a little confusing until you redefine the role of the float.  I use the same technique fishing for kingfish/salmon/tailor from breakwalls with good success at times (when I can't find fish on the surface or the bottom).  In this technique, the float serves the purposes of:

A - slowing the drift/sink rate of the bait (as you can control/adjust the amount of line below the float by feeding/retracting line at the reel).  You can test different depths during the same cast by adjusting the line.

B - acting as a reliable indicator of bait location (factor in some variance for any current)

Once you find the spot in the water column where the fish are holding, you can replicate it easily & stay close to the fish, where others struggle to maintain a place in the "strike zone".  It's a great land-based technique.

I have used the same technique to fish paternoster rigs (e.g. bait jig or SPs) in mid-water from breakwalls where fish are holding around structure or over a reefy bottom.  Keep your bait/lure in the right place for longer while avoiding the snags.

Great work & well done on the catch!

mate you know exactly what im talking about! and your info are greatly appreciated. so others can learn from it. it might take a few tries for someone new using this technique. but onces they get the hang of it, you know it can increases your chance of hooking up. but note: one thing that might not be attractive is the price of the float im using. it costs $16 for a float lol. but it is top of the range i would say. and i can cast it far far away

This iso setup is also called free float fishing and yes the cost of the float is expensive. one other advantage of this setup is that you have no stopper knot, which means you dont have to worry about setting the bait to the right depth. It cant be used in all conditions but is very effective in the right conditions as I have been out fished by my friend this way when i used a traditional iso float setup with a stopper knot.

On 2017-6-2 at 3:47 PM, Seaurchin said:

Nice one Pappafish. Can you give me a photo of your setup.  I used a similar setup but not a drift down line, sorry still a novice with this. 

no worries. i will upload one tomorrow. dont have it on me. ill take a photo with my phone

On 2017-6-2 at 11:02 PM, TunaSickle said:

Parra River?

On 2017-6-2 at 11:02 PM, TunaSickle said:

Parra River?

close to the habour. birchgrove, drummoyne its not bad. depending on your luck.

On 2017-6-2 at 1:47 PM, whiskey299 said:

This iso setup is also called free float fishing and yes the cost of the float is expensive. one other advantage of this setup is that you have no stopper knot, which means you dont have to worry about setting the bait to the right depth. It cant be used in all conditions but is very effective in the right conditions as I have been out fished by my friend this way when i used a traditional iso float setup with a stopper knot.

yes indeed. it varies depending on the weather. wind, and current, wont be effective if the water are pushing hard. i'll then to let it drift with a tiny slingshot, a circle hook on a pilchard cube. which other iso fisho uses prawns mainly. but it all varies depending on what you target and where you fish.