whiting

ARC H

16 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

whiting are still active in winter, similar tactics to summer focus your efforts in the afternoon especially after a warm winters day.

don't bother with surface luring that is a summer thing

yeah ok thanks mate much appreciated

I tend to catch the biggest ones in winter off beaches,  as dirvin mentioned afternoons seem to produce the best results but make sure the tides are large and the swell is not too calm, i believe they fire on with a decent (but not crazy) swell as thats when the sand and food get churned up.

Also, dont cast a mile away, lob it in just past where the wave is breaking (sometimes less than 5-10m from the shore, thats where theres the most turbulence in the sand and they are actively feeding. 

I find the best fishing for whiting is in winter, however a complete change of tactics are required.

It's a littlle known fact that the bigger whiting appear to move out of the bays and go upstream in winter.  I don't know why but it may be a breeding thing.  I won't disclose locations as they were given to me in confidence but a bit of exploring in usual upstream summer spots will locate these bigger winter fish with the better fishing being at night.  The main issue this year is that I've heard that bloodworms cannot be imported from QLD due to the white spot virus and they are by far the best bait. 

8 fish measuring 37 to 42cm which are typical winter fish.

Hope this helps.  Ron

IMG_2236.JPGIMG_2237.JPG

Edited by mrsswordfisherman
Pics added

I would say that it is easier to catch whiting in colder months as the fish is not so fussy about the food choice/bait unlike in summer.I had a plenty caught on chicken.

On 5/30/2017 at 8:39 PM, SquidMarks said:

I tend to catch the biggest ones in winter off beaches,  as dirvin mentioned afternoons seem to produce the best results but make sure the tides are large and the swell is not too calm, i believe they fire on with a decent (but not crazy) swell as thats when the sand and food get churned up.

Also, dont cast a mile away, lob it in just past where the wave is breaking (sometimes less than 5-10m from the shore, thats where theres the most turbulence in the sand and they are actively feeding. 

thanks mate will keep that in mind

51 minutes ago, campr said:

I find the best fishing for whiting is in winter, however a complete change of tactics are required.

It's a littlle known fact that the bigger whiting appear to move out of the bays and go upstream in winter.  I don't know why but it may be a breeding thing.  I won't disclose locations as they were given to me in confidence but a bit of exploring in usual upstream summer spots will locate these bigger winter fish with the better fishing being at night.  The main issue this year is that I've heard that bloodworms cannot be imported from QLD due to the white spot virus and they are by far the best bait. 

I have attempted to upload photos of 8 fish measuring 37 to 42cm which are typical winter fish.

Hope this helps.  Ron

FB_IMG_1483242611713[1]

FB_IMG_1483242631213[1]

yeah it helps

27 minutes ago, savit said:

I would say that it is easier to catch whiting in colder months as the fish is not so fussy about the food choice/bait unlike in summer.I had a plenty caught on chicken.

thanks i find raw chicken a good bream bait too

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/6/2017 at 3:31 PM, campr said:

8 fish measuring 37 to 42cm which are typical winter fish.

Hope this helps.  Ron

IMG_2236.JPGIMG_2237.JPG

sorry mate only read it then yeah it helps alot thanks