Salmon and tailor

arthur06

Alright experts, taking a step away from my estuaries on Sunday, going on a very delayed trip to Avoca beach. Having second thoughts on my trip as I have no idea what to do at all. So far I know that I need to cast in gutters, and fish near the lake, according to Brew. I have a good 12' Saratoga surf combo and a shimano fish quest 6' combo for rods. Going for (as the title suggests) sambos and tailor, using bait only. What should I use for bait, rigs, times and tides. As for the latter, do they matter? Finally, any suggestions on hooks and leader line? Thanks

If the gutter is in close and you're able to cast to it with ease, a simple running rig, hook (either ganged or single, i prefer single as it makes the bait look more natural), meter or so of leader to a swivel and ball sinker to suit the conditions. 
If the gutter is further back, try a paternoster rig as it distributes the weight better for your cast. I like to use a dropper of a long length, tied about a meter up to keep it off the sand crabs. 
I find dawn and dusk work the best especially on the rising tide at around 7pm, with some good size tailor a possibility at night time.
In terms of bait, whole pilchards are good but are a bit crumbly in the surf, try using the tails, or even better, get your hands on some fresh mullet to turn into strip baits. Not only will they last longer on a size 4 baitholder hook whilst looking natural, but it will distribute the weight better, which you may need if the gutter if far, especially with your 6' rod. 
With your leader rating, i'd go 30lb, if there are some big choppers around, bring yourself some wire. 
Good luck mate
-Chris

21 hours ago, arthur06 said:

Alright experts, taking a step away from my estuaries on Sunday, going on a very delayed trip to Avoca beach. Having second thoughts on my trip as I have no idea what to do at all. So far I know that I need to cast in gutters, and fish near the lake, according to Brew. I have a good 12' Saratoga surf combo and a shimano fish quest 6' combo for rods. Going for (as the title suggests) sambos and tailor, using bait only. What should I use for bait, rigs, times and tides. As for the latter, do they matter? Finally, any suggestions on hooks and leader line? Thanks

cant help but good luck mate