Honda CRV and Aluminum 5.5 boat towing capacity.

sleepydragon

1 hour ago, kingfishbig said:

Well you said 5.5m alloy so those models popped up (and also they have a light towing weight). I haven't owned a Crv so I am just going by what I know. As I said if you are well under the max tow weight I don't see too much of a problem. The biggest drawback would be that it would be a bit slow and underpowered. As I said if you are just going a short distance to the local boat ramp you can  put up with such shortcoming at least for a while.

PS if you do decide to get a better tow vehicle then there is no need to go to much expense. A Ford Falcon from AU!! on will tow a 1.3 T rig easily and are cheap as chips (depending on the year model). Actually they have a higher tow rating than a lot of medium 4WDs.

Thanks a lot your 2 cents worth more than that.

I've helped push a Malibu wakesetter up a ramp with a CRV.  Took about 6 of us pushing to get it out of the water. It can be done but probably not legally.  Never smelt so much clutch in my life. ;)

Edited by Fishop

8 hours ago, sleepydragon said:

That is correct, how do you know I am going to go for Surtees/Barcrusher  ?. My Crv rating 1.5T but again I want to know if any one does it in real life. I don't want to go to expensive upgrade from the boat to the car.

Cheers

depends on the barcrusher/surtees boat you get. I have a 575c and dry weight is about 1300.. as per specs.

add fuel, gear and the reast you maybe looking at about 1500- 1600.

I tow with a ford territory AWD and have no issues.

8 hours ago, sleepydragon said:

That is correct, how do you know I am going to go for Surtees/Barcrusher  ?. My Crv rating 1.5T but again I want to know if any one does it in real life. I don't want to go to expensive upgrade from the boat to the car.

Cheers

depends on the barcrusher/surtees boat you get. I have a 575c and dry weight is about 1300.. as per specs.

add fuel, gear and the reast you maybe looking at about 1500- 1600.

I tow with a ford territory AWD and have no issues.

Thie Tradeboat review of the 575 Surtees gives a hull weight of 498 kg and a BMT weight of 998 kg.

Also the Surtees website gives a BMT dry weight of 995 kg for the 575 hardtop.

Edited by kingfishbig

13 hours ago, kingfishbig said:

Thie Tradeboat review of the 575 Surtees gives a hull weight of 498 kg and a BMT weight of 998 kg.

Also the Surtees website gives a BMT dry weight of 995 kg for the 575 hardtop.

True, more than likely I have to update my car first. Thanks