Lures for Cod at Pindari

RustInPiece

So first off I'll be going to Pindari Dam this time next month and looking for lure suggestions.

so far I have 3 large spinner baits and 3 large chatterbaits... I'm looking at getting 2 100mm 15ft Oargee plows and a Jackall Mikey 140mm wake bait, any other suggestions for lures or colours?

will be my first time checking out this Dam and first time actively targeting Murray cod so tips are welcome.

thanks!

top end of the dam casting around the timber and boulders just be careful of submerged rocks 

in the main dam itself target the points 

your lure choices sound good my uncle fished pindari for decades and always liked dark greens and purple for lure colour

pindari is notorious for dangerous conditions the wind can funnel up the dam and create conditions you would associate with the open ocean I've had a wave go over the front of my boat at pindari

7 minutes ago, dirvin21 said:

top end of the dam casting around the timber and boulders just be careful of submerged rocks 

in the main dam itself target the points 

your lure choices sound good my uncle fished pindari for decades and always liked dark greens and purple for lure colour

pindari is notorious for dangerous conditions the wind can funnel up the dam and create conditions you would associate with the open ocean I've had a wave go over the front of my boat at pindari

Thanks for the heads up on possible dam conditions and places to target.

i found purple to work well for me at Boondoomba for bass and yellas, always thought it was strange that they smash purple lures.

Don't discount using surface lures in the cooler months either. It's done with success in Copeton dam, so no reason Pindari wouldn't be the same. Less hits, but bigger fish than in summer. Double jointed jitterbugs ( araldite all the screw in fittings 1st though!), Kingfishers & Jackall Pomadours are my faves

My mates changed his mind to Glenlyon now, I really wanted to check out Copeton but my mate was put off because he only caught 2 cod in 3 days. I said that's just fishing...

In my arsenal I have

3x 1oz Assassin chatterbaits

3x 1oz Assassin spinnerbaits

2x Oar-gee 100mm plows

2x Westin Swim 100

2x Westin Hypo Teez Buzz n Blade

1x Jackall Mikey 140mm wake bait

any other suggestions for lures under 40g? 

Edited by RustInPiece

I assume that you'll be boat fishing? You have a good all round supply of lures there mate but could possibly add a surface lure or two. In Winter afternoon and into the evening are the best times to fish as Cod really shut down when it gets really cold. Also try locating fish and seeing what depth they're at then troll big lures along that depth line. You may find Yellas in very close to dead trees. I think your mate may be expecting a bit much if he thinks a couple of fish in a few days is a poor result. Hard going getting them in Winter but good luck. I've had nice fish from Copeton and Pindari but never fished Glenlyon. BN

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

I assume that you'll be boat fishing? You have a good all round supply of lures there mate but could possibly add a surface lure or two. In Winter afternoon and into the evening are the best times to fish as Cod really shut down when it gets really cold. Also try locating fish and seeing what depth they're at then troll big lures along that depth line. You may find Yellas in very close to dead trees. I think your mate may be expecting a bit much if he thinks a couple of fish in a few days is a poor result. Hard going getting them in Winter but good luck. I've had nice fish from Copeton and Pindari but never fished Glenlyon. BN

Thanks mate, we are fishing from a boat and I'll look into a few more surface lures as it gets closer...

yeah i think he may of been expecting a bit much, I couldn't understand as I'd be happy with a 75+cm cod for a first!

• 5 weeks later...

So ended up going to Copeton which is what I wanted.

first off, it's so freaking huge!!! A really nice place and keen to make the trip again!

my mate managed 1 on a wake bait going 91cm and I managed 3 going 89, 79 and 78cm on 130mm swimbaits. Certainly want to get into swimbaits more now.

plenty of nice fish caught by others during our stay.

14 hours ago, RustInPiece said:

So ended up going to Copeton which is what I wanted.

first off, it's so freaking huge!!! A really nice place and keen to make the trip again!

my mate managed 1 on a wake bait going 91cm and I managed 3 going 89, 79 and 78cm on 130mm swimbaits. Certainly want to get into swimbaits more now.

plenty of nice fish caught by others during our stay.

Great fishing! I've always wanted to get a decent cod!