Blackfish on fly - Q's

Ozzybass

With the recent posts on blackfish on fly, I have been thinking... (always dangerous I know!)

I don't doubt that they can be taken on fly and its not anything new.  I first read about it years ago (>>10yrs ago) in an article written by Starlo.  However, it made me think.  If blackfish will bite on an artificial fly, what about all the other parts of blackfishing lore like having the right bait??  Ie. weed from X is better than weed from Y, string weed v wiry weed v cabbage, etc, etc??  Comments from the blackfishing brains trust?  Thanks.

I'm not the most experienced blackfisherman, however I believe the statement of "The best bait is whatever works best on the day" rings true for the weed you're using.

Sometimes they'll prefer the light, almost fluorescent green, other times they'll prefer the darker weed.

Sometimes they'll take a preference to whatever weed has the stronger smell, and vice-versa.

I don't think there's a "best" weed for any given situation, and it's best to have a mix of baits with you on the day.

Maybe someone with more experience will tell you otherwise, in which case ignore me! :P 

Cheers,

Wellzy

Thanks Wellzy.  Yes - this is exactly what I'm trying to say.  IF there are factors that make one weed fish better than another type or source of weed, then where or how does an artificial fly fit into the equation??

That's one thing I have no idea about.

However running by the same logic, arming yourself with different fly designs to match different kinds of weed (mainly varied colours of string/wire weed) would increase your chances. I also imagine you'd still have to burley with weed to keep the fish in the zone!

Cheers,

Wellzy

They are a finicky bloody fish. 

1. Weed types well some days it does not matter where the wed csme from or what colour or texture it is! They're hungry amd after a feed amd if you burley with what you fish with you get fish. Other days botany weed outfishes parramatta weed or they'll only look at cabbage. It's what they're tuned in on. I always say fish with whats local. So if your in the habour aomevnice Parra weedcor cabbage amd if your in the George's some nice botany weed. I still maintain they're visual feeders but at times scent amd colour and texture makes a difference 

2. The fly, they're visual feeders and at times so ravenous real or artificial does not matter.

moral of the above carry a variety of different coloured flies amd or bait! 

30 years amd I'm still learning